Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for possibilities as to what caused following: Early AM drove about 60 miles everything normal. When slowed going through Lincoln tunnel started to struggle to accelerate. On way back on NJ Turnpike and Garden State Parkway found that it would not rev past about 3000 - 3200 rpm. Had to shift early and topped out at about 65mph but could not maintain that on an incline. Judging by gauge it may have used more gas than usual. My knowledge is limited as I've never had a garage and extensive tools. But hoping for clues before taking it in. Hoping that the astronomical collective Alfa IQ on the board will figure this out.
Thanks,
Courtney

·
Registered
7,308 Posts
first suspect might be air leaks..especially a small tear in the big air hose going over the engine...a big tear in it and I don't think even 65 mph would be reached!
easy to check....remove and inspect, especially underneath.

second suspect would be fuel delivery, especially the in-tank fuel pump........if the gas level is under 1/2, I would suspect this even more........

others will chime in, that is the great thing here.........we have all experienced similar problems!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
first suspect might be air leaks..especially a small tear in the big air hose going over the engine...a big tear in it and I don't think even 65 mph would be reached!
easy to check....remove and inspect, especially underneath.

second suspect would be fuel delivery, especially the in-tank fuel pump........if the gas level is under 1/2, I would suspect this even more........

others will chime in, that is the great thing here.........we have all experienced similar problems!
Thanks! Will check hose. In tank pump is new and gas started at 1/2 tank, filled after about 30 miles, problem started about 30 miles after that.

·
Registered
7,308 Posts
gas started at 1/2 tank, filled after about 30 miles, problem started about 30 miles after that.
there have also been a few very recent threads about just filling up and the car spluttered to a halt a few miles down the road.....turned out to be bad gas.....never see bad gas in europe (well, for what we suckers have to pay a gallon, I should darn well hope not!).......but something to consider.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Another possibility is a catalytic converter that is going bad, i.e. the material in the converter has dislodged and is blocking air flow. Syptoms would be a loss of power, plus you can normally hear the exhaust rattling due to the honeycomb material being dislodged.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Another possibility is a catalytic converter that is going bad, i.e. the material in the converter has dislodged and is blocking air flow. Syptoms would be a loss of power, plus you can normally hear the exhaust rattling due to the honeycomb material being dislodged.
Hey! You may be on to something! It did go bad, and was rattling and stopped.
It did however, stop well before the problem.

Should probably start a new thread re catalytic converter. As I'm now exempt from emissions in NY State (over 25 yrs) Do I remove it?
Replace it with something else?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We have a winner

Paul W had the answer: chunk of converter innards blocked airflow.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts