Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my thermostat housing off while I'm repairing my head and noticed some limescale built up inside. Not a ton, but some. Is standard issue limescale remover safe to use with the aluminum housing as well as the thermostat? I just figured I'd clean it up a bit before I reinstalled it.

Also the gasket doesn't look particularly great. Hmm.

·
Registered
344 Posts
You might try soaking it in vinegar. That's good at removing calcium without really hurting the aluminum. With the hard water we deal with here, I use vinegar a lot to remove calcium build up.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I'll give it a shot! Everything I had at the house that was labeled as limescale remover also said explicitly to not use on aluminum.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Hopefully it'll work and at the worst it might just clean up the aluminum a little. I think I bought a new housing when I changed my timing belt last time around so they're available if you need one. I changed the gasket when I changed mine too.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a new set of gaskets for pretty much everything I just pulled apart. I honestly don't know how some of them were doing an even remotely acceptable job.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts