Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.
I have a couple of lights on my dash that irritate me a lot.
1.I have BRAKE light with STOP light illuminating intermittently even though all my STOP lights are working fine (including the one in the middle under the back glass.
2. Brake pads light coming on and off intermittently. I just had my brakes inspected and they are fine.
3. Air bag light is flashing when I start the car and than stays on all the time. I have tried to reset it many times the way it's described here, but it didn't work.
4. Windshield cleaning fluid LIGHT is also coming on and off intermittently, even though I have a full tank.

Question. Is there any way to switch them off? I don't care if they will not work properly. If I can just jump two wires, so the lights will come of, it will be fine with me. Can anyone let me know how to do it. Thank you.

I have jumped two wires on my coolant sensor and the light came off. It was on even though I had enough coolant. I would like to do the same for the rest of them.

·
Registered
8,770 Posts
Sounds like you may have some connector problems. Buy some dielectric grease. Take connectors apart. look for corrosion. clean it up coat with grease and reconnect. This also works on bulbs

·
Premium Member
26,814 Posts
Hello.
I have a couple of lights on my dash that irritate me a lot.
1.I have BRAKE light with STOP light illuminating intermittently even though all my STOP lights are working fine (including the one in the middle under the back glass.
2. Brake pads light coming on and off intermittently. I just had my brakes inspected and they are fine.
3. Air bag light is flashing when I start the car and than stays on all the time. I have tried to reset it many times the way it's described here, but it didn't work.
4. Windshield cleaning fluid LIGHT is also coming on and off intermittently, even though I have a full tank.

Question. Is there any way to switch them off? I don't care if they will not work properly. If I can just jump two wires, so the lights will come of, it will be fine with me. Can anyone let me know how to do it. Thank you.

I have jumped two wires on my coolant sensor and the light came off. It was on even though I had enough coolant. I would like to do the same for the rest of them.
Do the following:
1. Verify all four bulb holders for rear taillights clean and tight in sockets. Usually if all bulbs including center brake light are working when you check you have a loose plastic socket holder. Maybe be more of a problem when moisture present in the morning.
2. Check float in brake reservoir, check wiring connectors in inner rear fender liner for front brake pad wear indicators and at calipers for damaged wiring.
3. Follow TSB b009009 procedure to pull codes and to clear memory. learn to do the 3 second on off routine.
Alfa 164 TSB 45.93.02
4. Check connector to wiper fluid tank by removing front inner fender liner to gain access.

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
For the brake pad light it might be the pad wear sensor wire has an internal break causing an intermittent open circuit which would cause the pad wear light to illuminate. this happened to me. A continuity test revealed the fault (pull the plug and check for complete circuit across the two pins) and a simple cut and solder job fixed it. Another "fix" is to disconnect the plug and short the connector with a jumper.

The pad sensor wire is a simple loop buried in the pad material. When the pad wears to a certain point the loop is worn through and the warning light illuminates unless the brakes are on.

The washer fluid sensor is likely a sinking or otherwise defective float switch. One could pull that connector and short it also I suspect. I'm not sure if the float switch is open or closed to illuminate the dash light but pulling the connector will tell you which it is.

Airbag lights are problematic. Possibly there is something wrong with the airbag system! If so, I'd have that looked into as a defective airbag system might cause you problems and perhaps should be repaired or removed from the car.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The washer fluid sensor is likely a sinking or otherwise defective float switch. One could pull that connector and short it also I suspect. I'm not sure if the float switch is open or closed to illuminate the dash light but pulling the connector will tell you which it is.

Can you please tell me where is it located and how can reach it. Do you possibly have picture?

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
I have the manual but no way of scannin git into my computer.

The sensor is on top of the tank and can be accessed by removing the right headlight and working through the the hole left. The tank is in the right (passenger side for LHD cars) fender area. The pump can also be accessed in this manner.

The other way to access it is to remove the right front wheel and fender liner.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Can you please tell me where is it located and how can reach it. Do you possibly have picture?
Connector is near side of washer tank, accessible from RH wheelarch after you pull the front part of the liner (one or two screws under front bumper, one screw at top of wheel well, one screw to subframe). Personally I think that is easier than removing headlight but it depends whether you prefer to be on top or underneath. (Hmmm... what have I just said...;)) No picture, sorry... once you're there you can remove tank and fit a wine cork to the float rod in place of the (sinking) float. I think that the float switch is shorted-when-empty, because I seem to have my connector unplugged and my light is off. I shall be fixing that just as soon as I get the time... I did the wine-cork mod to my previous 164.

Also on my previous 164, the pad-wear wires were shorting on the pads/caliper edges. A short to ground puts the warning light on as the short occurs (i.e. when braking if pad worn down to wire loop), then when wire loop breaks, warning light stays on as Michael said.

I solved the shorting by desoldering before the plug and threading some fibreglass 'spaghetti' (high-temperature) insulation onto the wires. You can get this from electrical shops, commonly used for domestic oven wiring or other smaller appliances e.g. heaters, thermostats.

I like to have all warning lights fully-functional, as most of my cars have never had them (ever wondered how the Japanese get their 'reliability' - they leave this stuff out...) so it is nice to make the most of a clever feature. I wished I had it on my FIAT one day when one door swung open (was not latched) and destroyed door/front guard. Wouldn't have happened in my 164 thanks to the illuminated outline and door-open lights that I always check.

Hope you revisit your coolant sensor and get that working too ;)

-Alex

1 - 7 of 7 Posts