Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
Yes, it is definately a mismatch. I'll assume that the 10522 number is on a plate that is riveted to the leftside firewall? Or are there two numbers stamped into the firewall?
If the 10522 is on a type plate, it would seem to me that your GT is a 11505 GT Junior 1.6 Deluxe. It sounds like someone in the past put in a 2l engine, installed 2l badging and a 10522 type plate.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Sheesh, what a mismatch!!
The VIN AR115050001108 doesn't add up. 11505, yep, we know what that is. But the 0001108 doesn't relate to that model of car. As near I can tell, those last 7 digits would relate to a unificato GTJr of the 1974 model year
(AR11534*0001051 to *0001372). So, perhaps the number stamped on the firewall is AR10534*0001108? Interesting. The other thing I can't work out is to do with the unificato. I only have a piccy of a LHD. No piccy of RHD. Usually :rolleyes: Alfa have a different model designator for RHD cars. For example, if the LHD unificato GTJR was 105.34, then you would expect the RHD to be 105.35.
I can't find any reference to 105.35 however. Perhaps they just made them LHD or RHD as they went down the line???
Over to you Papajam :D

·
Registered
141 Posts
Don't suppose you could take a piccy of the riveted on plate, and also of the number stamped on the firewall?? Might be helpful..... Or not :D

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
Yeah the 10522 is on a riveted plate, so it appears that someone has done bit of a sneaky swap at some point. It's a bit deciving as they've changed the description on the rego papers as well. Will find the email address and see what the history is for the serial number. The previous owner suspected that the car was imported from Europe, and not originaly sold in Australia, so maybe the conversion happend before the car arrived here.

Are the only differences between the 2000 GTV and the 1600 Junior the engine size?

Was going to get the engine that the previous owner swapped out with the Alfetta engine that it currently has to get some 'originality' back into the car. Not sure I'll bother though. Altough it would be nice to rebuild the engine knowing that I'm not in a hurry to get it back into the car so that it will run! Also means that low oil pressure light will work again.... decisions, decisions:)

Will take some photos tonight when I get back. Not sure how they will turn out as the numbers are a bit faint, but will try!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Are the only differences between the 2000 GTV and the 1600 Junior the engine size?
Kind of. For the GT 1600 Junior Unificato (115.34), the differences are limited to the engine. However, there was another model of GT 1600 Junior being produced at the same time, which is the 105.03 (LHD) or 105.05 (RHD).
The 105.03/05 was a 2 headlight smooth nose GTJr.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Kind of. For the GT 1600 Junior Unificato (115.34), the differences are limited to the engine. However, there was another model of GT 1600 Junior being produced at the same time, which is the 105.03 (LHD) or 105.05 (RHD).
The 105.03/05 was a 2 headlight smooth nose GTJr.
Not so fast! :)

Not only the engine was different in the Unificato Juniors. The Jr. had the small rear lights, cloth seats, no LSD, the smaller brakes, rubber mats (I believe - not sure about that), no overriders, no light in the trunk (on topic finally :) ) and different badging :) .

Not really that Unificato, really.

Now, the 1974-1976 GT Junior 1.6 was a 115.34 BUT the RHD version kept the 115.05 designation despite the differences to the earlier stepfront/two headlight Jr.. The RHD versions had chassis numbers 2206701-2207210 and 0001001-0002057 which puts qwertytam's car somewhere smack in the middle of the second range of serial numbers making it probably a 1975 or 1976 (yes - they were still in production that late)?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Here are some photos of the two badges. The first is the type badge:
Type badge.jpg

The second is the VIN number (time to get out the paint brush:D )
VIN.jpg

And this one is the VIN number outlined, which matches that on the rego papers.
VIN outlined.jpg

So it seems that the car is a 1600 GT Junior, but with a 2000 badge and an Alfetta engine!:D

I've sent the VIN to the Alfa archives, which I guess will show up just how this car was born!

Are these green serpent badges original to the JR as well?
serpent.jpg

·
Registered
528 Posts
The archive should give you all you need to know.

The Serpente is correct for the car and don't fret about the originality too much. My 1600 Jr. has a 1.8 116 engine too but will soon have a breathed over 75 1.8I engine sporting carbs.

It's still registered as a 115.34 though. ;)

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
I agree, the badge doesn't seem an Alfa item. I suspect a PO had a bright idea!
I feel like I've seen that "deluxe" plate somewhere before, different make of car maybe. I've been racking my brains trying to remember.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Well I got the info back fromt the Archive:

with reference to your request we are informing you as follows.
According to our documentation files, the chassis number AR 0001108 originally corresponds to an Alfa Romeo GT 1600 Junior RHD (115.05), manufactured on the 13th July 1976.

So there we go. Still not sure were the deluxe comes in though!

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
Well, there you go then! That explains the lack of a boot lamp. Mystery solved...almost. Your GT should have both an engine bay lamp and a heated rear window. A PO may have simply removed them. Check out the first couple of posts in this thread for some Junior DeLuxe info.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
Ahh ha! Yes it looks like the mystery is pretty much solved.

So correct me if I'm wrong, the but JR is pretty much a cheaper version of the GTV and is fitted with non LSD diff (different ratio), smaller brakes (and different calipers, as well as the 1600 engine. Also the trim is obvisouly different with JR getting black steering wheel (the momo one in mine?), no over riders on the bumpers (like mine), and no serpent badges (which mine has:D ),.... as well as the that good old deluxe badge!

Looks the conversion of JR to psuedo 2000 is kind of common then given that other thread

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think that vin 11505 is from the South African 1600 gt junior deluxe. Shared a lot of same features than the 2l. It was unique to south africa who mixed the 1600 oidykids with leftover 2l shells. End result this hybrid classic alfa.

·
Registered
148 Posts
My South African 1975 RHD 1600 GT Junior (AR115050001208) has an under bonnet lamp, no heated rear window. I have never noticed a boot light.

At some point it had a 2 litre fitted. I think a previous owner has added 2000 scripts to the dash and boot lid

It also has big rear lights and also the bigger GTV front uprights/brakes - I doubt that these were changed after it was produced

The bumpers (not fitted) do not have over riders. It has no serpent badges or designed by bertone badges - but I could add them

Mine has vinyl seats with wind up head rests (but they have been recovered at some point)

When I bought it, it had the shorter final drive ratio with no LSD (1600 spec). But when I broke a half shaft, I took the opportunity to get a GTV back axle (longer FDR + LSD)

So, it would appear that towards the end in South Africa, there were less GTV vs Junior differences than would be expected (just engine, axle, over riders, scripts)

21 - 37 of 37 Posts