Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way to turn off the light in the trunk when the trunk is open?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1973 2000 GTV
140 Posts
Easy way, the light turns on when a switch is released that is usually held down somewhere by the boot lid itself. Find the switch and fashion something to hold it in even while you have the trunk open.

Or splice a toggle switch in somewhere in the circuit (right in the trunk or get fancy up at the dash). Shouldn’t cost more than $5 and an hour tops to put one into the trunk space I’d imagine.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
I would not count on that. I've not looked but that trunk light will be connected to the cars lighting "computer", even the 164 had that feature. These circuits are also wired through the proximity switches on the doors and, in the case of the trunk light, to a timer function that turns off all interior lighting after a set time in order to protect the battery if a door or the trunk lid is left unlatched.

If you cannot locate a switch in the trunk (older cars had such a switch somewhere fairly handy but separate from the switch actuated by the lid opening) is it possible there is an option in the various computer settings accessible from the dashboard screen?

·
Premium Member
1973 2000 GTV
140 Posts
I would not count on that. I've not looked but that trunk light will be connected to the cars lighting "computer", even the 164 had that feature. These circuits are also wired through the proximity switches on the doors and, in the case of the trunk light, to a timer function that turns off all interior lighting after a set time in order to protect the battery if a door or the trunk lid is left unlatched.

If you cannot locate a switch in the trunk (older cars had such a switch somewhere fairly handy but separate from the switch actuated by the lid opening) is it possible there is an option in the various computer settings accessible from the dashboard screen?
I didn’t realize it was for a new Giulia because I’m an idiot lol. M Smith is right, on a modern CAN bus vehicle there isn’t much you can do that’s worth the effort unless there’s a settling in the main console.

·
Premium Member
2020 Giulia TI,1988 Milano Gold Auto
751 Posts
I believe the Giulia has a timer which turns the light off automatically; easy enough to check; leave the trunk open and wait till light goes off. Probably same amount of time for interior lights to turn off.

·
Registered
7,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I believe the Giulia has a timer which turns the light off automatically; easy enough to check; leave the trunk open and wait till light goes off. Probably same amount of time for interior lights to turn off.
I did this and after 5 minutes the light was still on in the trunk.

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
Lambert, just checked my car and yes the trunk light stayed on for over 10 minutes. Crazy that Alfa doesn't provide a timer to limit activation same as all the cars other lights. Or at least a manual on-off switch.

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
That would have been too easy lol.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Is the light an LED? If so then current draw won't be the issue.

The need to switch off the trunk light is pretty rare but not zero. I used to use the switch when camping but only because we left the trunk lid open for extended time periods. Now this isn't necessary so maybe the function has been eliminated.

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
It's not an LED

·
Premium Member
16,705 Posts
Trunk light switches are handy, as our LS has one, and have used it a few times, say, when cleaning the trunk area for a while letting the shampoo dry with the lid open, or using a trickle charger on the battery and being able to leave the trunk lid open long term.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts