Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yo Folks,

Some time ago it was posted on the BB that the emergency spare from a Ford Focus was a direct "bolt on".

I put out feelers and after some time, got two not one, new Ford Focus emergency spares "as new". They are equipped with Hankook rubber.

I found that the Ford Focus emergency spare saves about 20lbs over the full size factory Phonedial. And in fact it does "bolt right up"! However I found that the OE lug nuts, being closed ended, will NOT tighten down enough to mount the steel emergency rim. I found that any lugnut for steel rims will work fine (I used Honda lugnuts).

Anyway I can tell you the extra "headspace" I now have in the trunk is great and the 20lb weight reduction is a bonus! Emergency spares "as new" are plentiful and cheap! but don't forget the lugnuts for steel wheels....

Best regards, Elio

·
Registered
110 Posts
That's a great tip! How much does the phone dial weigh? I understand my "Turbinos", the finned alloys, weigh only 11 lbs each. I'm wondering what I would save.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Is it true that if you run that smaller diameter emergency spare on the rear axel of your car you will ruin the LSD? ;)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Are you sure the center hole of the Focus spare is large enough to fit over the rear hub? That's been an issue with other Ford-sourced wheels.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BSN, I can't honestly say it will/will not fit on the rear hub. I tried it on the front it worked great and assumed all is well, I'll advise after I have a chance to do the rear fitup. Since it is Thanksgiving in Canada Monday, I'll reply next week.

I'd take a few thous off to make it fit if necessary. The weight and space advantage is very worthwhile.

Best regards, Elio

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Aldo,

The Ford Focus emergency spare is a 15" (T125/80R15) and I would guess not much more than 1.5" different in dia from the OE phonedial/15" tire. I don't think the LSD will suffer if as and when you need to put in on to replace a rear flat tire for short distances at lower speed.
In the event of a rear flat; assuming there is a challenge to the LSD and or the Temp will not fit the rear hub, I'd use the Temp to sub a "good" front wheel so I could move it to the rear.
For 14" OE wheels I think it would be also a great replacement even closer in dia.

Best regards, Elio

1 - 6 of 6 Posts