Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at getting a lightweight and small battery for my 1300 (2.0TS), does anyone have a clue in how few Ah you'd need at least? Is 10Ah enough in a "daily driver"?

Add lightness.

/M

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
Just to define the extreme in "lightness", I use a small Lithium Ion battery in my autocross-only '76 Spider. Listed as a "Power Sport" battery and sometimes used for a Jet Ski, it weighs 2 1/2 lb. is small enough to easily hold in your hand, and I mounted mine on the firewall near the coil. 260 CCA, 48 Wh, 4 Ah. I also installed one of the gear drive starters as used in the series 4 spiders and this cranks much faster than the old style starters. I also have a "jumper box" in case the car doesn't start with the little battery; but even the jump boxes are now Lithium Ion and much smaller in size. My new one almost fits in the glove box.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/autocraft-lithium-power-sport-battery-lfp-5/10570125-P?krypto=uhM1WHF7LS4OXOa++y+jDo7Ct8T6nJTb5FVALfAKvM1MrumBzsxo/PS3t1gCSjSevNE4BJwDzL7klHVVs7+UazV51tUNUdSK6Jo9R1UIt0bsCu6UEwHxOLEWsTaOrhGw1Lwys9F0T/TBvL3pJ0nM+EODrodVgOhxksbHPS3dGdD3bogT2yNT/0oAJUjLb6PH

More realistically, some people use the garden tractor or lawn mower batteries.

I'm looking at getting a lightweight and small battery for my 1300 (2.0TS), does anyone have a clue in how few Ah you'd need at least? Is 10Ah enough in a "daily driver"?

Add lightness.

/M

·
Administrator
16,478 Posts
I have an Odyssey battery in my MGA (vintage race car). I haven't weighed it - their web page states 28 lbs/11.8kg but that seem high to me. My recollection is that it was a lot lighter than a lead/acid batteries.

Odyssey PC925T battery

·
Premium Member
13,172 Posts
Do a search on odyssey batteries to see another option. I have the smallest one in my Spider and the next size up in my 3L GTV6. They are not as light as George's Li battery but they are a lot lighter than conventional lead acid.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
I have the Odyssey PC680. It is very very small. There is a smaller one that very well may work if your car is not hard to start. PC525 I believe? I've read several people say they cranked their Porsche 912 with it... (1.6L, battery remotely located)

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Odyssey

I have the Odyssey PC680. It is very very small. There is a smaller one that very well may work if your car is not hard to start. PC525 I believe? I've read several people say they cranked their Porsche 912 with it... (1.6L, battery remotely located)
+1 for the Odyssey PC680.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
The 545 is sure tempting. But from my perspective, for a few bucks more the 680 gives a little cushion of reserve juice for hard starts...

It fits on the package shelf with the nice bracket they sell. Ignore the double cut-offs, I had just installed the circuit breaker and will remove the cutoff shortly.

Extreme Series Battery Specifications ? ODYSSEY battery

Attachments

·
Registered
843 Posts
+ Another one for the PC 680. I had one in each of my Elans, and in my GTA Rep.
Will get another if the battery in the Ti Super Rep ever gives up,
Steve

·
Registered
194 Posts
Another +1 for the PC 680. I’ve had one in my Duetto for several years and it’s never missed a beat, even after extended periods of lack of use.

+ Another one for the PC 680. I had one in each of my Elans, and in my GTA Rep.
Will get another if the battery in the Ti Super Rep ever gives up,
Steve

·
Registered
1,033 Posts

Add lightness.

/M
I have a Deltran 300CCA lithium battery in my Spider. Less than 3lb and only $150. I wouldn't daily drive it, but some people in the Miata community have claimed to have successfully used one in a daily driver. It's designed for power sports, so you will need terminal adapters (or crimp new terminals). Cranking gets weak below about 40F (rare around these parts), but it starts better than the 40lb lead acid battery it replaced in warm temps. I suppose if it fails you, $50 lithium jump starter pack in the glove box could always do the trick.

·
Registered
432 Posts
FWIW, an Odyssey PC680 has been in my '74 GTV trunk on the rear shelf for at least 8 years, and has survived apparently undamaged after being completely discharged at least twice due to leaving some lights on. It does not leak anything, it does not off-gas any corrosive fumes, it does not care if you mount it upright or upside-down, and it has always (above scenario excepted) cranked the car within 3 seconds even after it has been sitting for a month. I run 20W-50 weight conventional oil also. If it died tomorrow I would buy another.

Caveat: my car is always stored in a garage which is always between 40 to 80 degrees F and it is a Motronic fuel injected car and typically does not require much cranking. I suggest you adjust your choice accordingly.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
I chose the 680 for its narrow width and light weight. Mine has worked great for years. Check out the link r-mm provided. Looks like the electrical specs for the 680 have been down graded? I thought the PHCA was 680 hence the name. Some smaller lighter batteries above it in the chart have better CA. The 535 and 625 stand out to me, both lighter and better power.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
PC680 is common, I know, but in my perspective (2017-2018) it's old and heavy.

Lithium gets me interested, but is the Denso 45A alternator modern enough to give a low enough ripple to charge a lithium batt..?

/M

·
Registered
154 Posts
PC680 is common, I know, but in my perspective (2017-2018) it's old and heavy.

Lithium gets me interested, but is the Denso 45A alternator modern enough to give a low enough ripple to charge a lithium batt..?

/M
I am running a 5 AH Lithium battery charged by a Denso-sized discount car part-store alternator and the first two years have been trouble free.:)

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
X2 for a generic alternator successfully charging a Lithium battery.

I am running a 5 AH Lithium battery charged by a Denso-sized discount car part-store alternator and the first two years have been trouble free.:)

·
Registered
782 Posts
If you're mounting the battery remotely, what gauge wire are you running to it? You can easily end up with a few extra lbs if you run thick wire.

Scott

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
I did 2awg which is probably overkill. On the 912 im doing 4awg. Look for welding cable on amazon or other, very inexpensive as are lugs and a hammer style crimper. Personally I didnt go AGM odyssey just for the weight, the size, safety, quality were big draws.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I did 2awg which is probably overkill. On the 912 im doing 4awg. Look for welding cable on amazon or other, very inexpensive as are lugs and a hammer style crimper. Personally I didnt go AGM odyssey just for the weight, the size, safety, quality were big draws.
Here I have some big trust issues - I've tried to get my head around this; a thinner cable would only get warmer with higher amps, ie a cable that is rated for higher temperatures could be thinner? I don't think the voltage drop is an issue in these relatively short lengths.
I stick my chin out and claim; we always overkill cable area, I'm thinking of testing 5-10mm2 to see how the starter motor reacts, the cable I'm using can handle it.

what amps are your li-ion batteries able to give? 200A? more?

/M

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
To keep the same voltage drop as stock set up, if you double the length of wire by relocating the battery into the trunk, double the cross sectional area of the wire. From memory, increase 3 sizes, if OE is #4AWG go 3,2,1. Therefore #1 AWG would have twice cross section of #4AWG and half the resistance, therefore same resistance at double the length.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts