Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am preparing to remove the engine from my 78 spider, my first adventure of this magnitude. I bought a engine hoist and a lifting chain. The lifting chain is only about 30 inches long and appears designed to be bolted onto the engine on each side. I have been unable to find directions on how to attach the engine to the lifting chain, and I'm afraid to bolt it to the engine because of the softness of the metal of the engine. I could buy an additional length of chain to go underneath the engine, or "Harbor Freight" sells a sling of nylon webbing for lifting engines. I have Pat Braden's Alfa Bible, and Companion books, and have an old Alfa Owner's Workshop manual, but none of these publications give specific directions on how to attach the chain. Please help!

·
Registered
404 Posts
There is a metal strap on top to the head between the two middle cylinders. Put the hook through the strap and lift it right out. Removed mine last week that way.

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
Search the threads for tips on what to remove, how to position car, etc. The engine removal is fairly easy when you do a few simple things. Believe it or not the clearance when pulling the engine is probably a 1/2 inch or so, but it you leave that steering control arm in place, it will not come out... Oh. or the ground strip, or the clutch slave, or the shifter ... hmmmm I think I did it wrong more than I did it right in the past. No wonder why my hair is all gray.

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
P.S. WHy are we pulling the engine?? Are you bored?? You certainly welcome to come up to the NorthEast and shovel some snow... We are getting clobbered this year, and our Alfas are sleeping soundly beneath their fuzzy car covers...
P.S. the engines are fairly light, and I have pulled them with no issues from the front exhaust and thermostat housings with no problems... They do like to come out at a real crazy angle, almost vertical is easiest... More fluid leakage, but it takes minutes to get them to succumb..

·
Administrator
18,805 Posts
Are you removing the engine & gearbox together or just the engine?

Alfa supplied a 'lifting strap' that connects between two head bolts. It can be shifted forwards or backwards to help balance just the engine or the engine/gearbox combination. I R/R'd the combo and it needs a fairly steep angle to go in/out. Positioning the car so the back end is higher (up on sturdy jackstands) helps. And the center tie rod must be moved out of the way.

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input. I am removing the engine due to a leaking front cover gasket. It leaked a little for almost a year, but recently, the oil leak got a lot worse. I have a gasket set, new head gasket, new motor mounts and plan to put in a new fan blade. The engine has to be removed to do the job.
I have almost finished disconnecting (and labeling) the wires and hoses, etc. I just couldn't figure out how to hook up the hoist. I felt like a dunce after reading Joe's post; why didn't I think of that?
The previous owner had the engine rebuilt a few years ago, so I'm not going to go any further than necessary. By the way, my Spider is red.
Thanks again for the tips.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am removing the engine and transmission as a unit. I have read about how the engine/trans comes out almost vertical. My son will help me guide the engine out. And Peter, I live in the mountains, and there is snow on the ground at my house. I drive my car all year round; sometimes the weather is warm enough in winter to drive with the top down.

·
Premium Member
25,321 Posts
Dang, I should have stopped in. I went through Tehachapi Sunday on my way from Willow Springs back to Berkeley. It was snowing and we hauled booty down the hill to Bakersfield to beat the impending closure of 58. I was on track tires and really didn't want to get stuck, as I did last February in the same situation, through very poor planning.

Jack the rear of the car up as high as you can get it. That allows you to pull the engine/trans combo out more horizontally.

Andrew

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Andrew, look me up next time you go through Tehachapi. There aren't very many alfas in the neighborhood. I don't race myself, but might enjoy watching alfas running at Willow Springs.

·
Premium Member
25,321 Posts
Will do. Mike Valant lives there, whose late dad Gary ran a noted Alfa shop in Dallas for years. Mike built an incredible Giulia Super race car some years ago and documented the build on the web (now sold on to others), and races a Mini. I think he works in aerospace at Mojave airport.

Andrew

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,783 Posts
You can drop the center link by undoing the three bolts that hold the idler arm on the body. That way you don't have to worry about popping off any ball joints or worry about alignment when going back together.

·
Registered
159 Posts
It is much easer to pull and put the engine in if you remove the center rod but I have done it twice by twisting the engine ,as it is swinging, a little sideways; I forget which way. You can also split it going out and mate it going in.

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,783 Posts
"It is much easer to pull and put the engine in if you remove the center rod" !!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
"It is much easer to pull and put the engine in if you remove the center rod" !!!!!!!!!!!!!:)
I totally agree. Takes a minute, and not a big effort. I tried like a fool my first couple times to do it with the center steering rod intact... Got it out, but with a crowbar and a dented firewall....
P.S. Stopped snowing here... now all ice! Fun!

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
Are you removing the engine & gearbox together or just the engine?

Alfa supplied a 'lifting strap' that connects between two head bolts. It can be shifted forwards or backwards to help balance just the engine or the engine/gearbox combination. I R/R'd the combo and it needs a fairly steep angle to go in/out. Positioning the car so the back end is higher (up on sturdy jackstands) helps. And the center tie rod must be moved out of the way.
I still think Eric's engine is just too clean to work correctly... Needs more Alfa Exterior lubrication in my opinion...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I agree with Peter, Eric's engine is too clean to work. Seriously thanks for all the pearls of wisdom. I will remove the center link. I plan to pull the engine on Saturday. Today I freed up the crank nut, did the rope in the cylinder trick to break the seal on the head gasket, and degunked the engine. So far things are going well; I'm taking my time.

·
Premium Member
4,862 Posts
Bob,

Since you are pulling the trans and engine together it might help to elevate the rear end a bit. By doing this it allows you to get a little more angle and clearance when pulling the motor out.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.