Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All
After re installing a modified 16v with forged pistons etc & running in over 1000km I still have a camshaft/hydraulic tick. I have tried oil changes and oil treatment but once the engine is warmed up I still have 60% noise. Has anyone been through this hassle with the 16v ?

I am running standard cams. Prior to installation I measured lobes and seats of buckets to make sure there was no wear. By the way I have yet to check if it could be an exhaust leak or a cracked head stud.

Is it easy to remove rocker cover and remove lifters with the engine still in the car or will I have to drop the engine (again) ?

thanks Phil

·
Registered
45 Posts
It could be done as the workshop manual has tools for removing the head with the engine still in the car, but what a horrible job that would be. I am getting shivers just thinking of doing that. If you have ever dropped a boxer engine out before and have all the gear handy, just drop the engine. Far less hassle and much easier to work on.

When you had everything out did it all go back together again in the same way? When I recently pulled my heads (piston and valve contact), I labelled and bagged each item so that everything went back in exactly the same way as it came out. I wouldn't think it should make a difference with hydraulic lifter, but better to be safe than sorry.

cheers
Scott

·
Registered
536 Posts
16v is very difficult to work on without dropping the engine. Normally , hydraulic tappets are auto adjust but i thing there is a procedure that you have to follow in order to make them adjust again. I can remember it right know because i have mechanical one but i will try and find it again....

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for replies guys.

When putting it all back together I did have to use a different camshaft from my old engine and swap some lifters across due to wear. We checked for flattening on the bucket tops very carefully.

Looks like at some stage I will drop the engine again, measure and install new lifters all around.

thanks

·
Registered
85 Posts
How's the lifter issue going?

I have an 8v 1.7 with lifter issues. Ticking like crazy, tried different oils and additives. Ticks only when hot.

Thinking of changing both cams and all lifters, with engine in car. Easier with an 8v.

Also oil pressure is a little low. Could be well be due to leaking/failed tappets.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sorry to hear you have similar issues. I have almost finished my turbo installation so i have not run the engine for two months. I will wait till I finish the installation and tune and then determine if I have to drop the engine for the tappet.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Removed heads without dropping the engine. Will remove the cam supports this week.
Got to replace valve seals as you can see by the amount of burnt oil.

Back breaking work. Needed some whiskeys and painkillers at 2am after I finished Sat morning/night!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
To supplement everybody with additional information, camshafts and lifters have the critical function of continuously opening valves to allow the intake of a mixture of air and fuel, as well as allowing exhaust to escape from the engine. Springs on the valves return them to their closed position until the camshaft rotates around to open them again. Like every other part of an engine, they are subject to wear over time. Again, lubrication is the key to minimizing wear on the camshaft and lifters. Regular oil changes and filter replacement will save you from a pricey early replacement, which AOL Auto estimates at more than $3,000. The fact is Camshafts and lifters are in the list of the most expensive auto repair. Therefore, vehicle owners must know this: Preventing the four most expensive types of auto repair. Check that out for the details.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts