Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my engine 2.5 V6 has a slight tappet clacketty clack noise, not too loud. I took off the valve covers and adjusted the exhaust valve clearances to .009 between the cam and tappets, I didn't bother checking the intakes being the intakes cannot be adjusted without shims. Is this noise normal being everything is aluminum, I have solid lifters and sound travels right through it. Its not the injectors, I know what those sound like. Do all your Alfa's have any faint lifter noises? Is this normal?

·
Registered
750 Posts
Noise is good - when you don't here 'em THAT is the time to be worried! Don't have the specs handy for clearance, but the "music" of the top end is normal. GV

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
specs are for cold engine
intake
.0187 - .0197 in
exhaust
.0088 - .0098 in on cam or
.0122 - .0134 in on valve

·
Registered
512 Posts
Mine sounds louder in the car than out of the car as I removed all the sound proofing from the bulkhead (sorry guys fire wall)
A little noise is healthy open the windows and listen to the engine and exhaust combo and the tapping blends in niceley

·
Registered
418 Posts
Tappet noise is regular for the V6. Also, the exhaust lobes seem to wear and the followers go from having a subtle radius to being flat. When I had my ex. lobes touched up, the followers re-faced and the tappet clearances right it was still Alfa V6, but much quieter.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts