Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

· Registered
'69 1750 Spider Veloce (Euro)
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I’m looking into lift options for our garage to be able to safely work under my Spider (exhaust, tranny, suspension, etc.). We don’t have the floor space for a 2-post hoist, let alone a 4-post hoist. What should I consider as lift options?

· But Mad North-Northwest
14,231 Posts
I keep looking at the QuickJack as people seem happy with them.

Honestly, though, every time I do the analysis I pretty much determine it's not worth it for me personally. I've got very good jack stands and a good jack, and I can get the Spider up and level on four stands pretty quickly and easily. Probably faster than I could get the QuickJack set up, honestly.

14,231 Posts
Yeah, I've kind of come to the conclusion that none of the portable options are that great compared to just sticking with the stands.

A two-post would definitely be nice but I just don't really have the space.

· Registered
2,348 Posts
A 4 post can fit in a footprint no larger than a standard garage parking space. The only limitation is ceiling height. You can put a 4 post in a low ceiling garage, it’s just a lot less useful. You can also get wheels for a 4 post that would let you work outside at full height if ceiling height is an issue.

A 2 post has to be wider and you have to worry about the type of concrete you have.

Failing that, there’s the quickjack. If you have some width but can’t have it permanently used, there’s also the Max Jax, which is a 2 post with columns that can be wheeled out of the way.

Finally, if you have a bigger budget or capacity to do concrete work yourself, there’s in-floor lift options (including low-rise ones).

· Premium Member
804 Posts
You might consider a maxjax. I have one. Its virture is it is easily and quickly unbolted and rolled to the side of the garage. Its main vice is the limitations of it being a mid lift device, but thats certainly better than jackstands. MaxJax

· Premium Member
1994 Spider Veloce Ce
472 Posts
Love my quick jack 5000. Lifts up to 5000 LBS with 2 feet of clearance. Set up takes me 15 minutes and when not in use stores under the car. Prices are all over the place got mine thru Home Depot for under $1200 interest free fo 18 months. Very well built highly recommend.

· Registered
'69 1750 Spider Veloce (Euro)
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Love my quick jack 5000. Lifts up to 5000 LBS with 2 feet of clearance. Set up takes me 15 minutes and when not in use stores under the car. Prices are all over the place got mine thru Home Depot for under $1200 interest free fo 18 months. Very well built highly recommend.
Are the platforms not too long to slide in between the two tires? Their website implies that the minimum distance is too long for my Spider.

14,231 Posts
I mean, that's kind of my point. I can have the car up on stands in less than the 15 minutes it takes to set up the QuickJack. And even my Esco low-profile stands get me 17" clearance, the standard ones are 21" so not much difference there. Plus they give me more access from the sides.

The MaxJax looks super nice if you have the room for it.

Are the platforms not too long to slide in between the two tires? Their website implies that the minimum distance is too long for my Spider.
Do a search, there have been discussions on this. IIRC there are various versions with different lengths.

· Registered
4,978 Posts
This is why, back in 2009, I made a high garage a priority when we went house hunting of necessity. A high garage was at the top of our list along with minimum of two full baths! The house we subsequently bought had a 2 car garage with a ceiling height of 10 feet, just enough for a 4 post lift. I was getting too #%@* old for the creeper and jackstands. In October of 2020, we downsized to our current house and this garage has an 11 foot ceiling.
The outdoor 4 post lift might be an option for some folks, you just need a standard 4" thick driveway or concrete pad. Obviously, that also depends on where in the country you live, too, and the weather/seasonal patterns. I've seen a number of outdoor lift installations, but they might possibly be limited by homeowners association rules or local residential ordinances.

Reactions: pinshaw

· Registered
2,348 Posts
This is why, back in 2009, I made a high garage a priority when we went house hunting of necessity. A high garage was at the top of our list along with minimum of two full baths! The house we subsequently bought had a 2 car garage with a ceiling height of 10 feet, just enough for a 4 post lift. I was getting too #%@* old for the creeper and jackstands. In October of 2020, we downsized to our current house and this garage has an 11 foot ceiling.
The outdoor 4 post lift might be an option for some folks, you just need a standard 4" thick driveway or concrete pad. Obviously, that also depends on where in the country you live, too, and the weather/seasonal patterns. I've seen a number of outdoor lift installations, but they might possibly be limited by homeowners association rules or local residential ordinances.
It may also be possible to raise the roof of your garage. I had mine raised by 2 foot to accommodate a lift by vaulting the ceiling.

· Registered
4,978 Posts
That's right... raise the ceiling and ceiling joists. A competent framer working with local building inspectors might be able to gain you some overhead, if the rafters run perpendicular to the long axis of your proposed lift. They can verify this, but the residential code in our area of the country would allow for rafter ties in the lower third of the roof height, and still hold the walls together. If you have roof trusses instead of rafters, then they can be field modified per approved drawings from a structural engineer, to convert them to scissor trusses for additional height.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts