Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
That was meant to say ‘rocker cover’ however it’s also known as the ‘valve cover’

·
Super Moderator
3,597 Posts
Lia the valve cover / cam cover on your car is incorrect, together with the cylinder head, they are for a later 105 Series model - I can tell that because they have the 2 little tabs for the 6mm bolts at the front and the cam cover has the breather for the crankcase-to-air filter vent which arrived circa late '66/early '67

This is a common modification as the '64 heads on the 1600 Giulia's were prone to cracking. Gordon Raymond has covered this extensively before. I would guess that the original weaker head on your car cracked and a good replacement was sourced.

If the engine block is original (10112*xxxxx) is will have the crank case breather at the back of the block just above the clutch - then you can source an earlier cover without the vent & just swap them over. With a bit of careful work using a Dremel tool, the 2 tabs can be removed and cleaned up so that the head looks like an earlier one (you really do want this later stronger head !!!)

What you don't want to do is fit the earlier cover without the vent if the block isn't vented - over time /distance when driving the crankcase suffers from pump-up and eventually the dipstick is blown up out of the tube which hoses the engine bay down in a good spray of oil.... Guess how I know - Took me ages to clean it & I took to running a GTA vented cap after that.

Ciao
Greig

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I just read through this thread, here are my two cents:
- The quarter windows were introduced before the transition to the longer wheelbase 101 body. I owned 03312, an early 1959 750, which had them. They were documented in a supplement to a 75 only parts book I had and sold a while ago.
- The valve cover is not a rocker cover because our Alfa engine, being overhead cams, does not have rockers.

·
Super Moderator
3,597 Posts
Yves you are 100% correct, the early SWB Spiders did get the quarter light windows, this is the European spec for 750, while Hoffman ordered the Spider without the quarter light and as 80%+ of Spider production went to the USA this is the predominant view we see.

We have 02806 in the collection, an October '57 SWB Normale with quarter light windows. Your 03312 would have been an early '58 & if it was sold though the Canadian Concessionaire it would have been the European spec.

Another Giulietta quirk !!

Salut
Greig

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Yes, 03312 was imported directly in Canada. Sort of Canadian spec, miles Speedometer, salad beam headlamps and Lucas tail lamps. I was told it might have been the first new Alfa imported in Canada, along with a 1900SS.

The 750 parts catalog initially showed no quarter light windows for the Spider, most certainly reflecting the fact that the Spider was developed for Hoffman and the US market.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts