Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, I really should know this, but I don't. Can anyone tell me how to identify (visually) LHD vs RHD headlamps ...
( mine is a 78 spider)
many thanks
Clive

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
image.jpg Look at the beam cutout designs on the lens (the differently cut, angled lower section of most lenses. LHD dips downwards one side, RHD the other. This pic shows RHD, and the lower lens ‘cut’ is horizontal on the left, and dips to the right, looking from the front.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Hi Clive,

If your headlights are Carellos, then look at the 2 first digits of the number on the glass as you can see on the picture of post # 3.

07.xxxxxx and 03.xxxxxx are for cars that drive at the right side of the road.
08.xxxxxx and 05.xxxxxx are for cars that drive at the left side of the road.

Rgds,

Thierry

·
Registered
1 Posts
Now I’m confused, driving on the left side of the street means RHD. Post #3 claims to be a RHD and the photo shows the Carello # starting with 07xx which as per post #5 should be LHD...

·
Registered
483 Posts
I have often the same problem with the 'confusing' terms LHD and RHD in this matter.
Btw, when searching the net, you'll find discussions about those terms, so be sure we're not the only ones.
That 's why I posted some of the first numbers used by Carello : 03, 05, 07, 08 and their application in post # 5 in the first place.

Maybe it has something to do with the side where the steering wheel is positioned, and the confusion comes probably from the fact that cars that drive at the Richt side of the road have the steering wheel on the Left side, no?

That's the reason why I don't speak of LHD and RHD but of the side of the road where the car is driven.

To be clear about the Carello light units, the 07 and 03 stand for European cars, they drive at the right side of the road, like f.i. cars for France, Italy, Germany, Belgium etc... but except the UK.

The light unit on the picture in post # 3, showing the glass with prefix 07, is definitaly a light unit for those in Europe driven cars as mentioned above.
If you're intended to buy a Carello licht unit, always verify those first two numbers.

Fyi, the prefix 00xxxxxx on the glass is for earlier Carello lights that were symmetrical lights, often not tolerated on the road anymore, so only good for showroom cars.

Hope this helps.

Thierry

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I’m sorry guys but RHD and LHD are age old standard terms. For example, Alfa designated all RHD cars as “guida destra“. All Lancia cars were guida destra through the 50’s even though Italians drove on the right hand side of the road.

it makes sense, when a manufacturer builds a car they worry less about where it will be driven than how it is constructed.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Well, as the submitter of post #3 referred to, I went to edit the post to warn of the probable error (pointed out by alfasprinty), but wasn’t ‘allowed’. I can’t explain why my 105.37 g.d (AUS delivery, RHD) car may be wearing LHD lights which look original fitment....but it has had a shunt or two, so who knows what got replaced. Apologies if my error added to confusion.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Well, as the submitter of post #3 referred to, I went to edit the post to warn of the probable error (pointed out by alfasprinty), but wasn’t ‘allowed’. I can’t explain why my 105.37 g.d (AUS delivery, RHD) car may be wearing LHD lights which look original fitment....but it has had a shunt or two, so who knows what got replaced. Apologies if my error added to confusion.
could well be. I found some NOS outer RHD headlights for my 2000 GTV some years back but I have to say they were pretty much the single most difficult thing to find. Even the NOS door seals were easier.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts