Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a quick update of the "Steering" paragraph of Bruce Taylor www.alfamontreal web site:

"When restoring his 1972 Montreal, Victor Hugo Trein made a cast iron steering box to replace the original. He can supply a limited number of these to other owners for USD 650 (including worldwide shipping). The steering box is supplied with a new lower bushing and oil seal for the rocker arm"

Victor sold his Montreal recently and his mechanic Mario Rambo called me in order to offer a new batch of steel reproduction boxes. He can be reached at [email protected]

Thank you!

·
Premium Member
1,511 Posts
Ed,

Thanks for this information! I am starting my rebuild of my LHD Burman box as we speak. I will be using dye penetrant to identify possible fatigue cracks on the mounting ears...if I have any, I will reach out to Mario to order one!

JP

·
Registered
468 Posts
Hi for some reason I am unable to contact Mario using the email address provided?

Thanks in advance Rob
Rob my dear - in Brasil is CARNEVAL !!! Girls with no clothes, dancing nights+day dum di dum...!!! :wink2::clap::punk::sorcerer:

Who will answer phones there ?? :)
hannelore

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hi Hann, hope you are Well. My problem was that the email address did not work and was returned as failed delivery. I tried a couple of times. And yes I realise that a response to my email would take a while.

Best regards Rob

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sure Hannelore knows about Carnival and summer vacations down here. But if his mail address is returning the messages you should try his phone number. I have just sent you a PM with that number. Alternatively, I will call him next week after Carnival holidays and will let you know.
Regards.

·
Premium Member
1,511 Posts
Just got my box back from APE and installed it along with the reinforcement plates. Thought I would share the pix. It went back together a lot easier than it came out.

JP

Attachments

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I finally found Mario Rambo. Hannelore was rigth, for the first time in his life he went out for summer vacations at a nice beach and of course carnival. Also, his e-mail changed to [email protected]om

Hope you reach him at this time.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Steering box strengthening kit installation

View attachment 105revive SBkit.pdf

Hi I just stumbled on a steering box thread showing pics of the steering box strengthening plate installation. The installation is NOT correct if I am looking at the second pic of three posted correctly. The smaller plate should be installed on the inner wall of the Left chassis leg against the steering box itself with the larger plate on the outside of the left chassis leg. It looks as though the small plate in pic 2 has been installed on the outer wall of the Right chassis leg! The side of the idler box. I will try to attach a pdf of the correct installation.

Best regards Rob

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
JP,
The steering box looks nice. Did you replace it, repair it or just have it rebuilt at APE?
Thanks for the information.

Would anyone have a good source for the cowl drains that are broken as shown above? I have a matched set.

Also, long ago I picked up a gallon can of 'Gunk Carburetor and Parts Cleaner' anytime I remove old bolts, washers and small metal parts, I drop them into the little screened basket in the can of cleaner for a while. The parts always come out looking clean and new without grease or paint.

Mark

1 - 10 of 10 Posts