Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all,

I wonder if anyone knows a source of LH thread mag nuts for the Turbina mags on my 1750 GTV? I've converted the Front Left wheel studs to RH thread but won't get round to changing the Rear Left studs for quite a while, so I'm after a set of four new LH thread mag nuts to replace the battered old ones that came with these wheels. (Or four used chrome ones in better nick than mine.)

The only place I've ever found on-line who shows them in his website-catalogue is MISTERTEE, in England, showing them as his P/N 5217, but he says he hasn't got them in reality.

So if anyone has any ideas, I'd be pleased to hear. The style of nut is what seems to be known as a mag nut or shank nut or sleeve nut, and its dimensions are -
Shank 0.75" long by 0.68" diam;
Thread 12x1.5mm LEFT-HAND".

Thanks for any leads!
Best regards,
Graham H in NZ

·
Registered
139 Posts
I think I have a bag of those somewhere -- if I can find them, I will take some measurements and photos, and I could ship some to you. I bought mine for some aftermarket wheels which are copies of American Racing Libre wheels, which may use the same type of nut (not sure).

Also, I found the following at Classic Alfa. But I do not know if they are the right geometry or dimensions for your wheels:

WH014 2000 WHEEL NUT - POLISHED STAINLESS STEEL - LEFT HAND THREAD - Classic Alfa

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Beauty, thank you - I'd be keen to hear what you can find. I have a friend going from NZ to AZ in a week or two and she could bring these bits back with her from AZ if things proceed.
Re the Classic Alfa nut you mention, yes it's generally the right style but the shank is way too short for my wheels, unfortunately, even if the thread and diam turned out to be OK.
Thanks again,
Graham H, NZ

·
Registered
139 Posts
Hi Graham,
I measured the lugs I have and they are the dimensions you are looking for: 0.68 diameter, and 0.75 length if you measure out to the end of the bevel.
I remember these being difficult to find, but it turned out that my wheels need a shank of 0.62 diameter so I can not use these. I can no longer remember where I finally got these.
You can pm me an address or reply to this thread and I will ship four of these to you. I also have a bag (somewhere) of the matching right-hand lugs. If I find those I could send you four of those as well.

-Dave

Attachments

·
Registered
560 Posts
Hi Dave , I'm a friend of Graham's not too far from him in a similar predicament trying to put some alloys on my lastest GTJ, presumably you have 8 of these nuts and I would appreciate the other 4 if that works out. Just organise it with Graham and we will sort it out here, just thought I would introduce myself.
Ciao
Hans

·
Registered
139 Posts
Hi Hans,
So far, I have found 11 of these nuts. I think I must have had 12 originally. I guess, since I do not currently have any wheels that work with these, there is not much reason for me to keep any of them.
Tonight I should be able to figure out where the matching right-hand nuts are and whether there is one more left-hand nut somewhere. But yes, it looks like I have at least four more left-hand ones!

-Dave

·
Registered
139 Posts
Thanks Jamie, that is good info.

For Graham and Hans, I may not have made it clear, but I am happy to ship you guys the ones I have for free, as they are just collecting dust in my garage at the moment.

-Dave

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone for all the leads, and especially thanks Dave for your offer.
Those LH ones of yours sound just the thing, so count me in for however many you can find. Hans and I can just divvy them up between us when they arrive with me.
If any RH ones turn up too, that'd be a bonus, but they're not vital so don't bust your boiler and turn the place upside down to search them out.

That's very kind of you to offer them for nix but Hans and I will be more than pleased to fix you up with a donation to your Alfa Romeo benevolent fund, eh Hans. We really appreciate this.

Now, my NZ friend who's about to visit AZ and can bring these nuts back with her to me in NZ - she arrives in AZ on 18th Oct & leaves about 24th. If you'd able to post the stuff to AZ to reach there in time, that'd be great. The address in AZ would be -
Randy Glennie,
1511 Via San Cayetano,
Rio Rico,
AZ 85648.

Again, heaps of thanks!
Graham H

·
Registered
139 Posts
Hi Graham,
I will send the lugs this weekend if that is ok -- that way I won't forget to do it. I ended up finding twenty right-hand lugs, so 11 LH and 20 RH. Do you want all of them? I guess at the time I was thinking I might convert to all right-hand studs one day, so I got more RH lugs. I think all of them will fit in a small USPS box.

-Dave

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That'll be fantastic, thanks Dave.
Hans & I can use all those LH nuts,
and re the RH nuts, we probably only need four each, to give us nut-styles on our LH front wheels that'll match these special LH thread nuts we'll be putting on our LH rears.
However, if you don't have any use, or other people who perhaps could use 'em, or don't want to keep any RH nuts "just in case", then we'd be happy to take them all off your hands and keep 'em as spares (that way they'd be cluttering our garages instead of yours!).
Again,thanks so much, and best regards,
Graham in NZ

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mark, you're dead right there, matey.
And Dave, do send us your address so we can post a donation to your Alfa Romeo Preservation Fund (a worthy cause if ever there was!).
Best regards,
Graham

·
Premium Member
2,527 Posts
I have read this thread and wondered why no one commented on the photo in post #4. The lug nut looks to be the wrong type for Turbinas. I fasten my Turbinas with regular Alfa conical seat hex nuts. I question if the barrel extension of the nut shown will fit through the rims 4 stud holes and if the small conical seat at the hex part of the nut is the right size and shape.???

·
Registered
560 Posts
I have read this thread and wondered why no one commented on the photo in post #4. The lug nut looks to be the wrong type for Turbinas. I fasten my Turbinas with regular Alfa conical seat hex nuts. I question if the barrel extension of the nut shown will fit through the rims 4 stud holes and if the small conical seat at the hex part of the nut is the right size and shape.???
I think Graham's wheels have been modified at some stage, I desire the nuts to fit aftermarket Turbinas , ( made in NZ in the 1970's )

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,527 Posts
OK I see, but the link in post #2 to the Classic Alfa site re wheel nuts is also different to the post #4 photo.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Should I take some more photos of the nuts I have from different angles? It would be easy to do. I think these lugs are supposed to be used with washers, which slide up to the hex part of the lug and push against the (flat) outer surface of the wheel.

-Dave

1 - 20 of 28 Posts