Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
1973 2000 GTV
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well the day has finally come. I’m sure a few of you may have noticed in my previous threads that I was a little vague about my vehicle and photos were selective. Truth is while the sale was complete I had not yet taken delivery and did not wish to jinx it or risk someone sniping the car.

But I am happy to report that today the GTV came home. After an 8 hour round trip somehow turned into 13, and several issues with the Cummins I towed her with, I’m happy to say it’s mine.

Spent the week prepping the garage for the arrival. More photos tomorrow after I get it up on a lift and take a closer look.

·
Premium Member
1973 2000 GTV
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
It’s been stored in that climate controlled integral garage since 1985. I have the California plate last registered 1985. The car was originally delivered in California. The the second owner purchased it in the late 70’s and drove it around Cali. In 1985 he moved to Rochester NY and drove the car their for a grand total of 6 months. After that he parked it in his garage.

He began “restoring” it in 86. Then his children came and life and such. The car has been sitting there in pieces ever since. I have every piece of the vehicle minus the original steering wheel.

Granted, not all pieces are in great shape. The body has been 90% stripped of paint and primed (needs redone badly). I have all service documents from the first owner and the second.

Here’s the really crazy part....I trailered it home today on four fully inflated tires. The same Michelin’s it was parked with in 1985. Still holding air, they all need replaced but still incredible. Brakes weren’t locked up either...she rolled without a problem.

·
--ADMINISTRATOR--chiuso per ferie
12,703 Posts
Here’s the really crazy part....I towed it home today on four fully inflated tires. The same Michelin’s it was parked with in 1985. Still holding air, they all need replaced but still incredible. Brakes weren’t locked up either...she rolled without a problem.
Congratulations on your find. It looks like the car is on a trailer and not towed on the Michelins is was parked with.

·
Premium Member
1973 2000 GTV
137 Posts

·
Premium Member
1973 2000 GTV
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And at last....she’s home

went on the lift today before coming to the house. Didn’t get many good photos as I was too busy inspecting. But don’t worry, not the last time it’ll be on a lift. You can see the original champagne color a bit on the rear deck and the rear fascia there. Nice color but doesn’t personally tickle my fancy.

·
Administrator
13,657 Posts
Woo hoo, twin pipes

Pete

·
Administrator
13,657 Posts
Phew ;)

Pete

·
Premium Member
3,034 Posts
Very interesting. It'll be great to watch your progress.

·
Premium Member
1973 2000 GTV
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Alright, so after throwing a bore scope down into the tank, I've decided its not worth it to risk any of the gunk from the tank making its way into the fuel system. So I've ordered a new spica tank to be installed upon arrival. As well, I've ordered every filter for the entire fuel system including the spica oil filter. I've installed a Magnetti Marelli battery to match my MM distributor and coil. Going to do an oil change tonight to get her ready. And of course a case of non-chlorinated brake clean to get the engine cleaned off of years of gunk.
Hopefully I'll have the motor running next week. After I confirm the motor runs problem free (or at least mostly), then it'll get removed and the car is going down to bare metal for a rotisserie. I'll post photos of the tear down and individual components of each system for community's input on what to restore and what to replace entirely.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Alright, so after throwing a bore scope down into the tank, I've decided its not worth it to risk any of the gunk from the tank making its way into the fuel system. So I've ordered a new spica tank to be installed upon arrival. As well, I've ordered every filter for the entire fuel system including the spica oil filter. I've installed a Magnetti Marelli battery to match my MM distributor and coil. Going to do an oil change tonight to get her ready. And of course a case of non-chlorinated brake clean to get the engine cleaned off of years of gunk.
Hopefully I'll have the motor running next week. After I confirm the motor runs problem free (or at least mostly), then it'll get removed and the car is going down to bare metal for a rotisserie. I'll post photos of the tear down and individual components of each system for community's input on what to restore and what to replace entirely.
If you‘re changing the oil, it’s worth flushing out the old oil in the SPICA FI pump. Pull the barometric compensator (held in by three screws) and pour a fresh cup of whatever engine oil you plan to use into the hole where the BC was located. The fresh oil will displace the old oil from the SPICA into the engine oil sump.

·
Premium Member
1973 2000 GTV
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am in the middle of negotiations on the possible purchase of flying buttress seats. However, they are supposedly out of a 69’ 1750 GTV, yet neither seat has the pop up head rest (euro spec) nor does either seat have a missing head rest or place to put a top mount one. I’m concerned that I was under the impression the sport seats for 1750’s only came in one of these two options? Anyone with any clarification?

·
Premium Member
1973 2000 GTV
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Alright, fuel tank is out (and disgusting on the inside). And I’ve finally taken the time to notice the original paint is AR827. Any thoughts? Still thinking of going with Le Mans blue here unless someone makes a really good argument to the contrary.

·
Premium Member
1973 2000 GTV
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Alright, fuel tank is out (and disgusting on the inside). And I’ve finally taken the time to notice the original paint is AR827. Any thoughts? Still thinking of going with Le Mans blue here unless someone makes a really good argument to the contrary.

View attachment 1650803 View attachment 1650804
fun fact. This car was painted using PPG paint In 73’ shipped from Pittsburgh, PA to Milano. I can’t help but find it a little fitting that myself and this car are in Pittsburgh now.

·
Registered
306 Posts
If it was my car I would hunt down some correct 2 litre seats, the ones you speak of sound like GT Junior or early GTV, Sprint GT. The two litre seats are probably the easier ones to obtain out of all the models I mentioned. BTW that metallic colour is a desirable colour, don't see many , just my two cents worth.
Tim

1 - 20 of 56 Posts