Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

· Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
I have this '59 spider in my grasp for now, and it has all sorts of crazy original, unmolested bits to it. Many I didn't know about at all. Anyway, I am convinced that these details are worth documenting in a public sort of way.

So, if you will indulge me, here I go...

JB

· Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
engine bay rubber strip hold down scew

I have heard that these screws are Philips for 101 cars, and it was a surprise to an old sage on this board when I informed him that they were originally flat-blade.

This screw is original for certain as there is crusty bits of the rubber strip still under it. note the chrome backing finish washer.

Attachments

· Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
rubber hood hinge bumper

I had no idea that I was missing this little dude! Does anybody reproduce these?

If not, I could try to take some good measurements for someone who could do it. (hint, hint, terry)

Attachments

· Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
horn wire hold downs

These are little brass straps that function like zip-ties. They hold the wires for the horns close to the cross member.

I had no idea I was missing these on my car. Are repros available?

Attachments

· Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
screws for front license plate holder

This car has the original cheese-head (Filister?) screws for the front license plate holder. Just crazy!

Attachments

· Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
original throttle adjust cable

Ok, I have seen one other example of this, but still....

Attachments

· Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
heater valve bracket

I don't believe that my '57 had this item, maybe it is a transitional feature. It would be great if someone could verify/clarify.

Attachments

· Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
drain holes near radiator

My car must have had these filled in. I figure that many people know all about this feature, but for the benefit of those who don't...

More coming...

Attachments

· Premium Member
1,238 Posts
Great blog JB. Lots of little tips for those trying to get it correct. Any others?

George

· Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
heater hose hold-down clamp

I once went hunting for this answer myself. Here is a picture of an original one...

Attachments

· Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
cloth on convertible top front bow

I didn't know that this piece was supposed to have fabric on it. I guess that goes on the list of things to fix....someday...

Attachments

· Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
rear drape hold-down turnbuckle

I didn't know that my car was supposed to have this. Now I will have to check for screw holes. The turnbuckles are identical to those that hold the top to the body, right behind the door.

Attachments

· Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
some upholstery items

I noted that the perforated holes on the back of the chair did not go all the way to the top or bottom. I wouldn't have guessed that....

Then there is a mat under the rubber mat behind the seats. It is backed with fiberglass. It sure looks original to me...

Edit: the mat goes up the rear wall of the ****pit.

Attachments

· Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
original aluminum hood latch strike plate

Ok, not the highlight of this thread....

Attachments

· Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
throttle linkage bracket

I believe that this bracket steadies the oil pressure tube. Again, I didn't know that I was missing this item...

Attachments

· Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Gasket under top hook

I had wondered about this, but never seen it. I don't think these are reproduced yet....

Attachments

· Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Chrome snap for rear drape

didn't know this existed either. A chrome snap at either side of the rear drape...at spot closest to the doors.

Attachments

· Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
interior stuff

The original seat foam had round cavities in it.

The carpet over the transmission hump was held down with little chrome screws with little finishing washers. very much like what holds down the rubber strip in the engine bay (pictured earlier).

The original horse hair type padding under the tranny carpet. Check out the original clamp for the rubber boot thing.

Factory matting under the rubber floor mats...

Attachments

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.