Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Subject is a '73 Spider parking light.. these are the type molded in to the front bumper.. So when everything freezes up we have to make due..I drilled out the heads of the three attaching screws and then had to extract the metal threaded inserts in the plastic housing they were frozen in place in the plastic molding process of the reflector housing... All is recoverable. One lense (lens) post is broken on the lens and is intact otherwise.. This is new territory for me as lenses are dear and this one deserves a continued life. Two questions on GLUE-- I know that once you are committed to a product there is no turning back. Trial and failure is not a good thing when you have to switch products and go to Plan B with glues. That I know.

I need the best (3M is my choice for starters--don't know which)) on the lens post repair. Then the next part of the challenge is reinserting the screw ferrules (metal) into the plastic body of the reflector. On the is part I am inclined to think a double sided tape used on mirror-to-windscreen mounts might be the way to go and just wedge the inserts in place. What say you guys/

keep in mind the lense is not torqued to infinity. It's torqued to snug against a flexible seal and that is all. Thanks in advance.. See the attached..Uncle

Attachments

·
Out of the office!
11,184 Posts
There are a lot of great glues out there that may work. I would use a small file to enlarge the hole so as not to have to thread the screw into the lens.

I bought this tool:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01JBNA3RG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

...and these nutserts:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01B1V9NTA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Of there is enough meat left to put a nutsert on, they should work just fine. This piece was missing all three of the nutserts. As you can see, the above mentioned tool and nutserts worked out well.

Attachments

·
9,938 Posts
Brian:

The links in your above posts don't work (I think the reason is that they were copied in their abbreviated form from another post).

I am curious how you can use a "pop rivet" -type tool on plastic. I would have expected the compressive force of setting the rivet to crush/crack the ancient plastic housing. But if it works, great! I have this problem on one of my Duetto's front parking light housings: the screw just spins without backing out. Until the bulb burns out, I am just ignoring it, but someday I'll need to deal with it.

·
Out of the office!
11,184 Posts
Brian:

The links in your above posts don't work (I think the reason is that they were copied in their abbreviated form from another post).

I am curious how you can use a "pop rivet" -type tool on plastic. I would have expected the compressive force of setting the rivet to crush/crack the ancient plastic housing. But if it works, great! I have this problem on one of my Duetto's front parking light housings: the screw just spins without backing out. Until the bulb burns out, I am just ignoring it, but someday I'll need to deal with it.
Thanks for pointing that out, Jay. Yes, I copied them from Rick's other post. I'm not sure what happened to the other post.

The tool is for nutserts. I've always wanted to try and fix one of these. The housings came up on eBay and I bought them to see if I could fix them. As I said, as long as there is a bit of meat left for the nutsert, it should work just fine.

·
Premium Member
3,872 Posts
This is what I use to repair anything plastic.

My brother used it about 10 years ago to repair all the broken plastic pieces on the overly complicated BMW 850 series heater box. Still holding together.

https://www.westsystem.com/plastic-boat-repair-kit/

·
Registered
7,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks Jim.. always nice to hear stuff like this .. The two phase "craft" project is moving forward. Phase 1 is repairing the lense post itself. Rewinding to the issue. One of the lense posts was broke off and remained pretty much intach on the screw like 99% of them. What i thouht would be a glue in place reattachment took a turn because the plinth part of the post was disintegrated and not recovered so the mating surfaces don't mate. My plan is to REVERSE the end of the post where it is clean and dress up the lens hole which has some recess in it to receive the bolt head. My thought is to shave the post a milli-micron hair, then warm up the lense in hot water, freeze the post and press fit it into the lens.. all trial and error to a degree.. this should lock the post in place without resorting to glue when everything returns to ambient temperature. I will lose the recess feature of the bolt head but it will be permanent to my purposes.. Sound like a plan? Phase 2 --The nutserts I'll use J-B Weld PlasticWeld Part #50132 that is compatible with plastic and metal.

Attachments

·
Registered
687 Posts
Have you ever looked at a product called "plastex " It comes in three colors, sadly. not orange. Clear, black and white. It also has a molding type of plastercine. You can take a mold of a good part and use the plastex to recreate the shape of the part. I have used it on many items to repair broken clips. broken corners. any number of things

Thanks, Rick

·
Registered
7,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Have you ever looked at a product called "plastex " It comes in three colors, sadly. not orange. Clear, black and white. It also has a molding type of plastercine. You can take a mold of a good part and use the plastex to recreate the shape of the part. I have used it on many items to repair broken clips. broken corners. any number of things

Thanks, Rick
Thank you .. Someone else mentioned it .. The clear seems to be a good option. It's sold by Eastwood or Amazon.. I wold probably like to experiment on a piece before I screw up on the learning curve.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts