Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

My Spider was bought with a modern style diptick in place of the original. I have both 1300 and 1600 spares but one seems too long and the other too short. Could someone with a 1750 engine please measure how long their dipstick is, from the 'cap' bit to the bottom end? many thanks, John

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
If you have the pre-mod 140mm (installed length) dipstick tube, the dipstick length from the top of the cap to the tip is 345mm, cap to MAX line is 283mm and MAX to MIN lines is 32mm.
If the post-mod 100mm dipstick tube is installed, cap to tip is 305mm and cap to MAX is 243mm. The 32mm MAX to MIN dimension remains the same.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Thanks Papajam!!
I've been wanting to know that for months now - maybe I should have asked!?
regards
Bob

·
Registered
362 Posts
Caution??

Hi Papajam,
certainly don't want to doubt your knowledge, but I measured up my dipstick tube and the lines today and came up with results which make me want to speak a word of caution here.
I have the 10 cm tube and the lines on the dipstick match up to your figures for the shorter tube, but, and heres the twist, when I put the fresh motor in the car 4 weeks ago I put in 6.9 to 7 liters of oil (0.5 l in the head), as recomended, and, after running to fill the large old type filter cartridge, marked my oil level on the dipstick and that mark is 255mm from the top of the cap. The dipstick came straight out of the 1300 motor that was replaced.
Don't know how much oil it takes to bring the level up by half an inch in that big pan but I'd guess at least a liter/quart, bringing me up to 8 liters/quarts, which is definately too much. Once again I don't know if that would be dangerously too much but I certainly am not going to chance it and wouldn't recomend it to anyone else either.
What do you think about the matter?
best regards
Bob

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am also having second thoughts- I seem to have put far too much into the engine now. I will drain it to measure the exact quantity.

john

·
Registered
362 Posts
Too much oil?

Hi John,
when you drain the oil to measure the exact amount keep in mind that you will still have about half a liter (?) up in the head, the filter full of oil and that the oil pan won't be completely empty - depending on how level the car and thus motor are standing. If you wish I could measure the length from the top of the dip stick cap to the marking I made for the level with 6.8 liters.
Ooops - just saw that I have already posted the length to my marking!
Bob

·
Registered
148 Posts
If you have the pre-mod 140mm (installed length) dipstick tube, the dipstick length from the top of the cap to the tip is 345mm, cap to MAX line is 283mm and MAX to MIN lines is 32mm.
If the post-mod 100mm dipstick tube is installed, cap to tip is 305mm and cap to MAX is 243mm. The 32mm MAX to MIN dimension remains the same.
I suspect that my Spider with 1.6 Alfetta derived engine mount a wrong dipstick, the tube is at the base of the fuel pump on the intake side of the engine. The tube length is 82 mm, cap to tip distance is abt. 327mm, cap to max is abt. 282 mm and max-min is abt. 32 mm.
Here is a pic of the engine

1 - 9 of 9 Posts