Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't think of another racing team having worse luck than Toyota! After last year's 'heart-breaker' this year's debacle just adds insult to injury!

It's hard to believe that only Mazda has achieved victory at LeMans by a Japanese race-car! I don't know how many years Toyota has been trying, but I'd bet they've spent many millions w/no wins!

Regards

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Quite a bit of years! Toyota had an effort in the late '80s/early 90's, then again in the late '90s. The current program started 5 years ago.

"many millions"? LOL - sorry to laugh but that hardly covers it. LMP 1 takes F1-level budgets. I'm not sure about the Toyota budget numbers but supposedly Audi was spending $250 Million per year before they pulled out. So Toyota has probably spent something along the lines of $2 Billion without a win.

You're right about the luck thing though. In both of the two earlier programs they had very near-misses and last year they were in the lead after 23 hours, 55 minutes and failed to make the finish. This year the #9 car was taken out by a car leaving the pits and I read the story behind the #7 was that Kobayashi was leaving the pits and got confused by a competitor in the last pit stall who was wearing an orange racing suit. He was trying to cheer Kobayashi on but Kobayashi mistook him for a marshall. The "marshall's" signals were impossible to decipher (since the guy wasn't a marshall!) and Kobayashi ended up stopping and starting several times and burned out the clutch as a result. Just crazy.

Oh, here's the article about Kobayashi: Le Mans News - The extraordinary reason why the #7 retired from lead of Le Mans

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@GV27:

Yep, I didn't know the amount of $$$s but I can only imagine the 'deep-pockets' it must take to compete at LeMans. I don't have a clue how long Toyota can keep it up w/the dreadful results, in 'LMP1', we've witnessed.
I've also been following the America's Cup & I wonder how many 'millions' it must take to compete in that series...it must be close to your estimate of 100s of millions(?)!

Regards

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Definitely. Another sport with F1 budgets (I can't think of any more, actually). Not sure what the spend is this year but supposedly Larry Ellison spent something near $300 Million to defend the cup last time around. Mostly right out of his own pocket!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts