Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What adjustments can I make if any if the left rear sits 3/4" lower than the right rear.
Front and rear springs appear original stock with Koni Red front and rear.
Or should I replace the rear springs with Centerlines or IAP ?

Attachments

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Ballast the car as driven and check again before going too hog wild with bits and parts.
Granted what you've got going on isn't quite right and some adjustment or shimming may be in order, but in the grander scheme of things the car is not supposed to sit level when in an unladen state posing for a picture by itself in all its shiny goodness. (otherwise it goes all unlevel when you climb in don'tcha know, and that effects handling, which is far more important than said pretty picture unless its a garage queen)

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
The early 105's were made this way quite intentionally. There are two different front spring pans - the deep one goes on the left and the shallow one on the right. It's intended to compensate for the driver's weight.

Later models used steel spacers - like really thick washers - to do the same thing with a single spring pan.

Robert

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Rogerspeed
Finally had time earlier this week and swapped the rear springs side to side.
It did not change. It is still lower by 3/4" inch in the left rear rear, but I think it is mainly caused by the right front sitting 1" higher than the left front.
It's pretty noticeable even without the weight of the driver in the car.
I'm pretty sure if I lower the right front, it might level out the rear.
Both spring pans are the same depth. but instead of installing a deeper pan on the right side, I think I will try to shim it.
Any idea what size and pitch of bolts I will need?

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
To shim?

Are you thinking lowering the right pan, or actually installing spring shims on the left?
If the former, same size/pitch as what's in there, just longer.
If the latter, size/pitch don't matter 'cause the shim goes under the spring, so uses the same bolts as what's holding it together now.

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
You are probably right. The rear springs are really soft - there is just not much load in the back, so a little jacking from the front will tilt the car. The good news is that your body is clearly plenty stiff and not twisting itself.

:D

Robert

1 - 8 of 8 Posts