Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Aha, you are teaching me how to do this. And the bag spoken of is that old habit of bag of shot for shaping and stretching metal into the right shape. The cylinders are magnets. The clamp is from eastwood for doing this sort of work. the panel repairs are all butt welds with no overlapping metal? Please, more suggestions, ideas, or techniques!!. I have a '74 that re-rusted from not being protected behind the shiny side after a restoration in 1990. So much for paying for it..., and needing floors, too. Lotsa work, but so what.

I put my cars with lotsa work to do on a spit to put the work at a comfortable height. I would suggest making one, or buying one. Especially for the work on the floors..

Steve

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Yes to the bag except mine has sand. Yes to the rest including the butt welds. My car is on dollies as it is currently alk together as a roller (no gas tank, dash is out). Floors are good but I haven't stripped the rockers yet so who knows what is to come.

Before modeling after me though better to see how this all works out! There are many, many much better examples of metalwork on the alfabb!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33 Posts
Enjoying the thread. Part way through a similar project on a 73. The Eastwood clamps look familiar. Used passenger fender from APE and cut patch and English wheel(first time) for top of driver fender. Most of these fenders appear to have thinned metal from early adventures. Looks like you are headed in the right direction. Help from the community college body shop in the SW where it generated interest as the first Alfa for some skilled guys.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I have looked at their filler and will consider it if needed. Otherwise I will keep on with the patches. Hoping to get faster!

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Only limited time this weekends, plus an 8 hour power outage but I got the second patch done. I had to cut out the first welds in that forward part so I could push the patch out some. I am getting used to small amounts of rework when I don't notice something before going to the next step. Slow is fast with this stuff I guess. The next cutout is ready and doesn't look too hard.

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
Curious as to why you have cut out a further bit? Rusty? I would have thought with some careful hammer and dolly work you would have been able to achieve a nice flat result ... maybe :) The secret is to not stretch the metal by hitting hard against the dolly.
Pete

·
Registered
176 Posts
Hammer and dolly is your friend...if you can weld and shape you can hammer...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
The dumb a$# previous owner (flipper) brazed a new nose on this car. I am finding it easier to cut and weld in patches than trying to melt out the brazing material than trying to fix all the botched metalwork along the seam and either side of the seam. This way I control how much to replace in each section.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
The dumb a$# previous owner (flipper) brazed a new nose on this car. I am finding it easier to cut and weld in patches than trying to melt out the brazing material than trying to fix all the botched metalwork along the seam and either side of the seam. This way I control how much to replace in each section. If you zoom in on the last pic you can see what some of the seam looks like.

·
Registered
176 Posts
The dumb a$# previous owner (flipper) brazed a new nose on this car. I am finding it easier to cut and weld in patches than trying to melt out the brazing material than trying to fix all the botched metalwork along the seam and either side of the seam. This way I control how much to replace in each section. If you zoom in on the last pic you can see what some of the seam looks like.

Keep going, you can't stop now and from the 6 million dollar man "we can rebuild him"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Finalky got back to my nose project. 3 passes on the last patch so I started on the new ugly stuff I found down low.

This patch will test my shaping skills for sure. Then I plan to make one more pass across all welds to fill in any remaining pinholes and a final sanding.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Finalky got back to my nose project. 3 passes on the last patch so I started on the new ugly stuff I found down low.

This patch will test my shaping skills for sure. Then I plan to make one more pass across all welds to fill in any remaining pinholes and a final sanding.

Right side done! I sure learned a lot but figure I am still a newbie at this. Next she goes off for stripping.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts