Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Basically I know "A" way to do this, but I'd prefer "THE" way to do this if someone can advise.

The brake booster obstructs the removal of the LEFT head on my Milano. I need to remove it to remove the head.

I have removed parts of the booster assembly in the past when replacing a failing clutch MC. I have been through the agony of the piss-poor Alfa decision to bolt the pedalbox (and clutch MC) from the INSIDE behind the dash.

Now I am faced with head gasket replacement, and I need to remove the pedal box again. So, my question is:

What is the specific technique for removing the left head on these beasts....do I need to remove the 4 bolts holding the pedalbox to the firewall or do I need to disassemble it in situ?

Thanks as always.

-TC

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
if you have ABS it will clear. could have been the non-ABS was a after thought to cut cost? Woud it be easer to undo the mounts and the drive line and lift it forward a few inches?
that is if you have a motor hoist.

but I have had to go there 2 times. I replaced the break MC and less then a year later the clutch MC started to leak..

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
TC, having done this job several times do to head gaskets and ABS to non-ABS braking, the first thing to do is pull the steering out, there is a pinch bolt where the column meets the rack, there are four small bolts where the rubber gasket attaches to the fire wall, then there are two more just under the dash the hold it in place. You will have to pull the ingnition swith/column control wiring and a few other things, but then it will be out of your way and give you better access to the booster box. seems like a lot of trouble, but it will make your life a little easier. I don't think you need to pull the peadl box to ge the head off, but I can't remember....

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback guys.

Failed to mention: Yes it is non-ABS. The Plenum for the booster is gigantic, but is apparently stock. It juts out far enough to prevent the head from being able to travel the distance needed to clear the head bolt studs.

I am going to attempt to remove the entire pedalbox from the engine bay.

-TC

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Head is removed

The pedalbox was a tight squeeze, but I was able to remove it through the engine bay. The head came off with ease.

The booster plenum is gigantic...I wonder if there is a more slender after-market replacement?

--TC

1 - 5 of 5 Posts