Alfa Romeo Forums banner

41 - 60 of 81 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,092 Posts
The 1157s I linked to, while brighter than stock in the Giulia, are not excessively bright. They're pretty equivalent to what you see on a modern car.
I installed these bulbs on my Spider and they are a bit brighter than the stock bulbs. Thanks for the tip.

·
Out of the office!
11,202 Posts

·
But Mad North-Northwest
9,863 Posts
Nice, but looks like you got yellow bulbs? If they're behind the red lens you should have gotten red. LEDs are narrow-band light sources (they only put out a narrow range of wavelengths) so if you don't match the LED to the lens you don't get proper brightness out of the overall system.

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
I went for LED running, turn,reverse and brake lights on my 1976 Spider. I really like the resulting 'fresher' look...

I used an electronic flasher (my old can flasher was about dead anyhow...), which caused me to switch to an LED for the indicator arrow.

A few notes - LED-based 'bulbs' get hotter even though they do draw far less current (hence needing the electronic flasher). This is because an incandescent bulb RADIATES (wastes) infrared light, basically heat, but that heat winds up far from the bulb in the end. An LED doesn't radiate infrared, but the power supply stage (which might just be a resistor!) generates some heat which doesn't go anywhere. It just heats the bulb base.

Some of the tiny dash lights are polarity-sensitive - if you try those, test as you go (they won't die if backwards - just not light).

Superbrightleds.com has good prices & descriptions.

A primary reason I went to LEDs was to avoid the need to take apart my running light assemblies to 'change a bulb' - the LEDs should last many times the lifespan of an incandescent bulb. That's why I did the dashboard lights and glovebox, mirror and trunk lights in LEDs as well (not quite as satisfied with that change - dimming works poorly, and some bulbs have poor radiation angles...).

My hope is to never again need to change a bulb!

------------------------------

LED headlights are not quite ready for prime-time, in my opinion. But I'll keep checking on their progress...

·
Out of the office!
11,202 Posts
Nice, but looks like you got yellow bulbs? If they're behind the red lens you should have gotten red. LEDs are narrow-band light sources (they only put out a narrow range of wavelengths) so if you don't match the LED to the lens you don't get proper brightness out of the overall system.

Yellow for the front and red for the rear.

You can really on cell phone pictures for color accuracy.

·
Out of the office!
11,202 Posts

·
Out of the office!
11,202 Posts
Today, I finished up the LED lights. I need to install the red blinker bulbs and the backup light bulb. For the backup light bulb, I went with a 900 lumen bulb. I think the 1440 lumen bulb would have fit, but I felt it might blind someone. :surprise:

Below are before and after shots of the backup light. I think the LED is much brighter and scatters better. The one I ordered is:

LUYED 2X 900 lumen bulbs

Attachments

·
Registered
221 Posts
Speaking of back up lights, has anyone ever rewired them so that they work whether the headlights are on or not?

·
Registered
221 Posts
That's what I was thinking as well. I had them working (with the headlights on) at one point but they seem to have gone AWOL again. Once I get that sorted out I'll rewire.

·
Out of the office!
11,202 Posts
The last thing I did was to replace the thermal or bimetalic flasher relay. The combination of the bulbs did not pull enough current to make the flasher work. I looke at adjustable rate flashers because the traditional flasher was very slow and I wanted something that flashed at a higher rate. I settled for one from Amazon:

AUDEW 2-Pin Electronic Turn Signal Flasher Relay Fix Motorcycle Turn Signal Hyper Flash

This flasher does not make any noise. It is virtually silent. The only issue is that the blinkers on the dash do not go all the way dark between flashes. But, I can live with that.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
The last thing I did was to replace the thermal or bimetalic flasher relay. The combination of the bulbs did not pull enough current to make the flasher work. I looke at adjustable rate flashers because the traditional flasher was very slow and I wanted something that flashed at a higher rate. I settled for one from Amazon:
How did you wire this flasher up?

·
Registered
221 Posts
I think S3's and S4's use a different relay with 4 prongs than the one ossodisepia is using in his S1 (and that I just ordered for my S2).

41 - 60 of 81 Posts