Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about installing some LED headlights in my TI. Alfaholics sells some PIAA lights which have integral fans! for cooling. This seems antithetic to advantage of LEDs as they generally have minimal current draw. I would think that they could be run directly through the switch without relays. Anyone have experience with LED headlights in a vintage Alfa?

·
Vendor
43 Posts
Thinking about installing some LED headlights in my TI. Alfaholics sells some PIAA lights which have integral fans! for cooling. This seems antithetic to advantage of LEDs as they generally have minimal current draw. I would think that they could be run directly through the switch without relays. Anyone have experience with LED headlights in a vintage Alfa?
Hi Jeff, LED bulbs really require a resistor, if your Alfa used to have just regular halogens there. That's because LEDs have lower resistance and the vehicle may not recognize it as a new bulb, rather consider it a 'bulb out'. If you are talikng about upgrading high and low beams to LEDs, most likely you will not need an extra resistor. Quality plug-and-play LED conversion kits feature built-in load resistors, so you will not need to wire an extra one.
Now, about that cooling fan. LED bulbs with high light output create considerable amount of heat (being specific, that LED element and driver), that has to be eliminated. And passive cooling elements have to be larger to decrease heat. Otherwise, they will be ineffective. As a result, LED bulbs become too large, which means difficulties in installation and retrofit. With a built-in cooling jet, LEDs get protected against heat damage. These PIAA bulbs are an example of a good LED conversion kit, just pick the right bulb size.

·
--ADMINISTRATOR--chiuso per ferie
12,147 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts