Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
I would interested in better dash lighting
But it's been a while and I don't remember what the bulbs look like!

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,033 Posts
Not directly answering the question, but I found festoon bulbs to replace in the interior lights. It seems to be about the same amount of light and is a butt ugly color, unless you are addicted to LED's bright white light. I gather there are other advantages like less current draw. Sorry but they just feel like fingernails on a blackboard after looking at incandescents for 50 years. And expensive!!!

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,496 Posts
You probably bought the "bright white" ones. Those are a very cold white. They have "warm white" festoons now that have the same color as incandescents and draw 90% less current. I use them in the Spider footwells as they prevent the battery from draining overnight if I don't fully close the door (which has happened a few times).

LEDs aren't really needed for most applications, but they're useful if you want to reduce current draw and/or heat. On the Giulia I have them in the taillights (to help protect the full-current brake light switch) and also in the instrument warning lights (to increase brightness). They're only worth the money if you're trying to fix a specific problem.

Be sure to match the color of the LED to the color of the lens (e.g., red lamp for brake lights, etc.) I buy them here:

http://www.superbrightleds.com

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,496 Posts
Yeah, the superbrightleds festoons are 6000K for cool white and 3100K for warm white. The warm white looks like the original bulbs, just pulls a lot less current.

·
Premium Member
6,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The reason for the question is that in Canada and from some date cars have to have day-time headlights on. I prefer to drive the Alfas with headlights on.

But if LEDs in the front parking lights and in the rear tail lights are much brighter than standard bulbs it could be worth changing them.

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,033 Posts
Yea, I'd consider using the brighter bulbs in the "parking" lights to use as DRL's. They are all but useless now unless it is dark. Didn't know they made differnt brightness LED's Tom, thanks.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Yeah, the superbrightleds festoons are 6000K for cool white and 3100K for warm white. The warm white looks like the original bulbs, just pulls a lot less current.
Incorrect on the current. Warm white LEDs have more phosphor on them so have a lower lumen output for same wattage, or same lumen output for increased wattage when compared to cooler white LEDs which have less phosphor. This is because white LEDs are actually blue LEDs with the phosphor coating (yellow) to convert to white light.

If they are pulling less current, then the lumen output would be significantly less than the cool version from the same manufacturer.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,496 Posts
My intent in that statement was "The warm white looks like the original bulbs, just pulls a lot less current than the original bulbs." Better? :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts