Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in LA where light is everywhere, except in the canyons, and some freeway exits, since the city is so nice to make sure the homeless aren’t disturbed by bright lights at night. Well after missing an on ramp twice, in a month I decided to upgrade my headlights and parking lights to LED. Its still not dark outside so Ill post a night time pic later. For now here’s what I did.
I replaced the two parking lights with mini LED projectors, and the sealed beams with plug and play headlights made for Jeeps or anything with 7” rounds. The DRL lightbar needs to be wired into the parking lights tomorrow so I will post updates. As of now, Im amazed with how modern and bright everything looks. No modifications were made to the car.

·
Registered
1973 Spider 2L
235 Posts
Wow looks great I thought about getting modern 7 inch pods with a modern bulb pattern then getting a conversion kit.

·
Registered
it's almost a alfa romeo spider
10,941 Posts
i bought a pair last summer,,not installed yet.. what is the light on the road like?..also vould you show without the lower lamps on..lots of glare, thanks.... onmy conversion. and all new wiring on my spider.. i will be running all led lights on the car.. this way i can use smaller gauge wires,, make the harness lighter

·
Registered
224 Posts
I'm curious which bulbs you upgraded your driving lights to... I ordered a set that should arrive tomorrow, be an interesting comparison especially since my '85 Spider is also silver.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Looks good!
I'd like to do that but have struggled to find the conversions here in the UK. Could you post a link to the ones you bought, and I will see if I can track them down? It's for a car that normally lives in France so the beam pattern is the same as in the USA.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Great timing. I have instrument cluster LED's on the way. Planning to order headlights soon. They are recommended in Dave Hammond's Spider video in the AROC-USA Youtube series. I found the ones he recommended on Amazon in Jan for something over $300.

Just did a new search and found Vintagecarleds.com. They offer lens choices that are closer to incandescent bulbs, and with prices and choices that are in the $200-250 range. That is what I plan to order. VC3500 units for me.
Might wait a couple of more weeks, since it is still snowing here.

Nah, just ordered. And the shipping is free.

John

·
Registered
10,941 Posts
these are my led headlights, and tail lights
12121212.jpg
IMG_20210227_105314_0.jpg
IMG_20210227_105318_9.jpg

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I want to see those installed! I didnt want a projector look but in retrospect I shouldve tried it. Do you have more pics of the tails and how you’re going to install them? I used dream of ways to cut out the rear and give it a 308 look, but I saw a thread here back in the day about Corvette tails, but the proportions werent right, or unique to the Spider. I almost cut up and another Spider with the intent to use smaller motorcyle round tails.

·
Registered
10,941 Posts
tail lights ..like this......at a slight angle up on the rear and each pair is angled outboard of the bodyshell a bit,, the are not flat to each other..side to side
20180821_124721.jpg
20180821_124651.jpg
20190408_195134.jpg
IMG_20201117_121508_1.jpg
led2.jpg
qaqaqa.jpg

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well there you go. That looks correct. Spaced out enough and pushed as far as possible.

·
Registered
10,941 Posts
I want to see those installed! I didnt want a projector look but in retrospect I shouldve tried it. Do you have more pics of the tails and how you’re going to install them? I used dream of ways to cut out the rear and give it a 308 look, but I saw a thread here back in the day about Corvette tails, but the proportions werent right, or unique to the Spider. I almost cut up and another Spider with the intent to use smaller motorcyle round tails.
the corvette lamps i tryed.. wrong ratio lamp to body.... i measured a 328 rear lamps diameter to the end to end of the rear sail panel.. got the correct ratio.. then went looking for some lamps that i liked.. found some led lamps from a big rig lighting company( off all places ) optronics stl 101 lamps as you see above the imformation on size.... the way they will work on my car.. running down the road at night,, you will see two led red rings.. stop? the inner leds will light up.. hazzard? all 4 inner leds will light up.. turn left or right? the side you are turning.. the outer/ inner led will flash... turn while on the brakes? outer/inner leds will light up, but the inner/ inner leds will light up.. cool effect

·
Registered
10,941 Posts
brewtech,, sorry for sort of taking your disccussion over

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
No worries mate, its car talk. So was that you with the vette lights at some point of the cars life? What stage is your car at? Driveable?

·
Registered
10,941 Posts
yes, that was me, and the car was drivable... the new light set up looks so much better..at the moment, i working on the lower part of the headers,, then new tunnel, then the easy parts, new car harness.. the ecu to engine is done,, coolent, and the fuel system

1 - 20 of 48 Posts