Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to understand the condition of my leather seats. The center pieces of leather on the seat and seatbacks are very tough and rigid whereas the leather on the sides of the seat and seatbacks feel like normal leather. This is the same on both seats.

Did Alfa use a special brand of leather for the center portion of the seat and seatbacks? Or is the leather on my seats toast? If it's sun damage, it just seems strange that the side portions of the seats that would see the sun are fine.

Any suggestions?
Thanks,

·
Registered
29 Posts
Mike,

I am in the process of having my upholstery re-done on my 1985 Spider Veloce. According to two different auto upholstery shops, the center portion of the seat and seatback are leather. The headrest is also leather. The balance is vinyl including the sides and back.

Sounds like the leather was not re-conditioned for as it requires (according to the upholstery shop) re-conditioning a few times a year, depending upon usage. And, well vinyl, is vinyl. Does not explain why my ten year old Japanese card has leather that has never been re-conditioned, but it lacks character.

Stefan

1985 Alfa Spider
Tulsa, OK

·
Registered
258 Posts
my seats is leather in the center and vinyl in the rear side and in lateral side, in center i apply a clean cream for leather bags and shoes and sofas...the seats are like new!!!! 23 years old!!!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Ohhh Grazie....che bello parlare tra BOLOGNA e il TEXAS!!!

POTENZA DI INTERNET!!!!

Ho messo le foto della mia SPider, nel Thread dove vanno messe le foto!!!

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
SpiderFrek said:
my seats is leather in the center and vinyl in the rear side and in lateral side, in center i apply a clean cream for leather bags and shoes and sofas...the seats are like new!!!! 23 years old!!!

Ah, man - quit bragging! ;) Your whole car looks new! Bella!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so it sounds like my seats have been fried.
Does anyone know if dried leather can be brought back to life?

Thanks,

·
Registered
897 Posts
Have you heard of Leatherique (www.leatherique.com) - I may have spelled it wrong.

In my experience, most leather condioners are pretty useless. I've found that any Meguiar's product for example, well, more time was spent on the packaging than the product.

There was something I recall reading on here about a product that actual does work - some leather product sold for Bentley's. Can't recall - but it actually worked.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I have been sucessful in restoring my Spider's leather with a product recommended by an old guru!

It is MELTONIAN shoe cream.
Manufactured by SARA LEE H&PC
Slough SL1 4AU England.

This product is available here in Canada and comes in colours that match the Alfa leather. I used; 137 Slate Grey. It not only softened the leather, but restored the cracks, because of it's contained pigment. It costs about $4 for a 50ml screw top jar. Could pick up some for you if you can't find it in your area.

Ciao! (Un altro Alfista e connazionale nel Canada)

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
As stated above only the tops of the seats are leather. The sides and backs are vinyl.

Your seats can be brought back to life but it will take some work. If you aren't shy about a little bit of work carefully remove the seat covers and apply a small amount of leather conditioner to the back (suede side) of the seats. Not too much though.

Alternatively try the leatherique leather rejuvinator on the tops of the seats in situ.

·
Registered
87 Posts
In the summer ,I would roll my Veloce out of the garage and let the sun heat the seats up before I conditioned them.
The hot seats just seemed to suck up the conditioner.
A few old age wrinkles but no cracks so far.

Michael Morris

1 - 17 of 17 Posts