Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Revamping my 91 Spider Veloce, and next come the seats. Reviews of the car from the early 90s say the seats are "leather" with suede inserts and vinyl back. Mine are original, and appear to be all-vinyl with faux suede cloth inserts. My question is, should I get the seats upholstered in real leather and real suede if such upholstery is original to the car, or should I get them recovered in vinyl and faux suede? I'm not a complete purist, but my intention is to have a revamped car reflect what was available in 1991 as much as possible. Reader thoughts on this issue would be welcome.

·
Registered
7,353 Posts
all stock S4 veloce's came with leather and non veloces came with vinyl.

if your S4 is a veloce it should have leather not vinyl.

check again.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Vinyl or leather

Doublechecked seats as suggested, as car is titled and badged as a Spider Veloce. Maybe the surround upholstery IS leather, although if so it is stiff stuff and not like any leather I know. But this does not solve the issue of what to do about the faux suede cloth inserts. Stay with cloth, or do the inserts in real suede or in leather?

·
Registered
7,353 Posts
if you want the car to reflect how it looked in 1991 then i would go with the suede inserts to keep it look stock.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Re-originals (in Texas) and Alfaholics (in the U.K.) will be able to get you a seat kit from the same people who made the original seats. The leather and suede used today is better than what was used years ago. In fact, the back of the seats now comes in leather to avoid issues with the colors being different as the leather and vinyl age... These kits are pricey, but re-doing seats is something that you don once in many years, and IMO it is well worth going with the leather and suede...

Best regards,

·
Registered
897 Posts
I understand those with wishes to replace with original parts, but lets face it, the original S4 seats wore badly, faded unevenly, and really only look good when brand new. Ditto with the door panels. If you want to redo the seats every two years when they start to look frumpy, go with the original look.

Personally, I'd go all leather, maybe perforated leather on the inserts. I got that idea from the Demon Spider in the Engine Conversions thread. Looked pretty darn good, I'd say.

Either way, it's not like it will be the last set of seat covers the car ever has, hopefully. So make you choice based on what you prefer. I doubt a faded, frumpy looking set of "original" type covers is going to be any differenent than a pert, fresh all leather seats, at resale time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts