Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen many topics regarding this. Please let me know your thoughts. The stand has held an inline 6 4.0L for years so it's not the stand that scares me. It's the size of the transmission mounting bolts that I wonder about. They seem long and thin for this duty.

I used the upper mounts with new bolts, grade 8, and the bottom studs which are attached to the engine.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I've always mounted Alfa engines from the exhaust side engine mount; never had any problems. I'd also be a little uncomfortable using the bell housing attaching points.

Best regards,

·
Registered
25 Posts
I agree with Monsai and I would be most concerned about breaking the 'ears' off the block. One of the Alfa shops (I forget who, now) used to sell an adapter to support the engine on the engine mount boss. They were kind enough to post a pdf diagram after they ceased production...

Attachments

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
I believe that there was a recent thread by a member who is selling this exact mount....
Do a search of the BB and you should find it.
I prefer the side mount as the motor rotates so much easier and you can attatch the flywheel and clutch with the motor on the stand.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Here are a couple of shots of the simple adapter I made for my cheap Harbor Freight engine stand. It's made from a piece of 5" x 5" x 1/4" box section that I got from the local metal supply company that I cut to about 6.25" and drilled the matching holes. Cost was only a couple of dollars, and took about 1/2 hour to make with an angle grinder with a cut-off disk, and electric hand drill.

Best regards,

Attachments

·
Registered
732 Posts
I personally prefer to have two side mounts, is easier to rotate the engine in any position, and no strain is introduced in the engine block skirt, also it allows for the installation of the flywheel and clutch.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
Ah, yes.....
the $2,000 engine stand......

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
101/105guy really thinks that engine stand cost $2000 to buy or make, it just sounds like 101/105guy is jealous? This is the type of comment that isn't needed, keeps people off the BB. I like seeing the pictures of what others have done, like the advice, motivates and gives me ideas without the CA cynicism. Worry about Arnold and his philandering in CA (I was born and raised in CA), and realize that if you would pay $2000 for the engine stand, that may be why the CA budget is so far in the dump? Sounds as stupid as insinuating the engine stand costs $2000...

No need to reply, I'll simply unsubscribe from the posting. But, I'll say that I've learned a few things on this BB, and one is that some people don't post here because of comments such as the 101/105guy left here. If you'll pay $2000 for an engine stand like this- I'll include shipping.

·
Premium Member
5,706 Posts
time to lighten up a bit. I can't say that I've read all 3,000 plus posts from 101/105guy but in general I can't recall a pattern of negative comments. That's the problem with this medium - the joke isn't necessarily transmitted.

I've been on more than a few BB's for different topics and I have yet to find a more congenial, helpful and courteous group. Doesn't mean we don't have our moments and it's good to call someone out where appropriate. But I would stop short of painting with too wide a brush.

And as far as engine stands go, I just transfer the motor mount pattern ( or in the case of the `1750, I include the oil filter stud) to the harbor freight mounting plate directly - no need for an adapter (however the adapter does provide for a full range of rotation).

moto mount.JPG

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
No, my comment is a tribute to FMG....
The chraftsmanship and design is wonderfull. Some would pay $2,000 for the ultamate engine stand.
All the more impressive that he made it in 3 afternoons !!

I made a 2 post in an afternoon, but didn't paint it.

Have a cookie and relax !
Randy

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
No photo sorry but I too have a home made 2 post stand which I made at home over a couple of weekends, in my case some 20 years ago. Takes both 4 and 6 cylinder Alfa engines and always on loan to someone it seems.

I'd not be comfortable at all using the rear face given the weight of the engine and the relatively thin casting there. It's not like a bell housing which is a machined fit.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts