Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well,, I am an avid [read, rabid] fan of the Alfa GTV6. I mean, c'mon- I have 17 or 18 of them ! I have always felt that front wheel drive just wasn't " Sports car- Performance". I have driven two 164 "L"s for a couple of months each,,, I enjoyed them- but the front wheel drive thing felt weird.
Then I got my LS. I'm lucky, I scored a real nice car that had been taken care of and much money put into, for short money.
I thought" I'll drive this till I sell it" and put in on the road.
Welll,,,, I love this car!!!! It IS a cross between a Mercedes and a Ferrari !!! It is very luxurious and when you put the pedal to the metal,, Holy Cr&#^!! I have put 800 miles on it in the last month, and I love the drive and feel of this car! I HAVE had opportunity to drive it hard- winding up some twisty's in the back country, and it steps up to it!!

Yee Haa. I love Alfas !!!! They make every day, a better, richer experience.
Anyone agree ???

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Welcome to the Dark Side HMA! :) There is something to these things huh? So have you ordered the bigger Q runners yet?

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What? And make it even faster?? Jeez'm crow, you shift out of 2nd gear at 60 mph as it is! And thats driving conservatively!!

·
Premium Member
27,326 Posts
Well, well seems like an Alfa by any other name is still an Alfa whether RWD, FWD or AWD. Don't you just love it!

·
Registered
8,822 Posts
If only the blue jersarys had the same appreciation!

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
I have a great liking of the Type 4 platform and the 164 is easily the best of the bunch. I started with a knackered Croma, moved on to a much-loved Thema, and then bought my first 164 (at the time, my most expensive car yet, and the first bought from a car dealer...)

Although various people claim that the FIAT Coupe is the best-handling FWD car, a platform shared with the Alfa Romeo 155, I disagree. I've owned a FIAT Tipo (the same platform) and I don't think it was very special. It was worth 'good money' so I sold it and bought a Croma for less than 1/6th the price. I thought the Croma handled better.

Anyway, I have owned most of the FWD FIATs, starting with the 128, and culminating with my Stilo that I sold the other day. The 128 was possibly a stroke of genius in its day, but there are always compromises between ride and handling, performance and economy, form and function. I believe that the 164 represents the best balance for me, and great value for money. I can appreciate its various qualities (after owning the FIATs) and I can point knowingly to its engineering as being (in most cases) an excellent solution. Just looking at the 164 rear suspension layout gets me excited (compared with the wretched twist-beam of the Stilo).

Finally, the 164 has all the features that I could want in a car apart from any airbags (on our market), and most of the electronics of the Stilo proved themselves to be less-than-useful in real life. E.g. I had thought that stability control would be a great asset, but it turned out to be merely a safety-net that takes effect only after the worst handling vices are already apparent.

The styling of the 164 seems to polarise my friends. Most hate it, with comments ranging from "it looks the same as any Japanese car", to "the buttons inside look like something from the 70's". This is a shame, as I personally think it is very stylish - an automotive Armani suit.

Luckily nobody liked the Stilo either (apart from me) so I guess I'm never going to get much approval from my friends until I buy a Mercedes or something... which isn't going to happen any time soon ;)

-Alex

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
I love my 164 when it's not having one of those niggling problems that drive you insane! Hopefully I will fall in love with it again after I get the heads back on it with the bigger cams and a good valve job:cool:
I'm sure that when that's done something else will go bad.

What? And make it even faster?? Jeez'm crow, you shift out of 2nd gear at 60 mph as it is! And thats driving conservatively!!
I'll bet that if you put the bigger runners on you'll be able to go 135 mph in second gear:eek: ala DD!! Oh...or is that Dee Dee Dee:D
(sorry couldn't resist)

Paul

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
I love my 164 as well, very great car, dependable, fun to drive, sounds awsome, what else could anyone else want in a car! I love the interior, at stoplights I just stare at it, its modern art in my book!

·
Premium Member
27,326 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,816 Posts
Members of the local law enforcement community?

·
Premium Member
27,326 Posts

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Went to look at a 325i Coupe the other day that needed quite a lot of work and just kept thinking to myself, "If it was a 164, I'd buy it and save it, but..." I walked away and decided to resume looking for a good Alfa (or Lancia) to buy as a 2nd car project. :D
Charles

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
Throughly Enjoying my 164Q as a Daily Driver!

I've had my 95 Q for about a month now, and am enjoying it as a daily driver. My Ford SHO now sits in the driveway, except when I feel the obligation to drive it to avoid "lot rot". Of course, I expect the Alfa quirks, like switches working one day and not the next, and am getting used to the car and its quirks, but I would not trade it for the world. Now all I have to do is save my pennies (and my "points" with SWMBO) to get some decent tires and wheels (currently 195 Michelin energy saving tires that are not suitable for the car) so I can really enjoy it's handling and power.

That being said, I still am hesitent to drive it long distances in case something happened that would require parts that could not be available readily in the "hitherlands" of the midwest. But then again, many SHO parts are not readily available either.

All I wish is that it had a 6-speed so that it didn't turn 3K RPM at 70 MPH.

·
Premium Member
9,813 Posts
Well,, I am an avid [read, rabid] fan of the Alfa GTV6. I mean, c'mon- I have 17 or 18 of them ! I have always felt that front wheel drive just wasn't " Sports car- Performance". I have driven two 164 "L"s for a couple of months each,,, I enjoyed them- but the front wheel drive thing felt weird.
Then I got my LS. I'm lucky, I scored a real nice car that had been taken care of and much money put into, for short money.
I thought" I'll drive this till I sell it" and put in on the road.
Welll,,,, I love this car!!!! It IS a cross between a Mercedes and a Ferrari !!! It is very luxurious and when you put the pedal to the metal,, Holy Cr&#^!! I have put 800 miles on it in the last month, and I love the drive and feel of this car! I HAVE had opportunity to drive it hard- winding up some twisty's in the back country, and it steps up to it!!

Yee Haa. I love Alfas !!!! They make every day, a better, richer experience.
Anyone agree ???
Let the LOVE FEST begin.
I love when the spider guys or GTV6 guys come over to the dark side even after reading and hearing all the negative press about the 164.
"I have always felt that front wheel drive just wasn't " Sports car- Performance"
Hear this all day long, that is not a alfa, that is not a real sports car. LOL. Take them for a spin and they all want one now. Long live the 164....:D
No other car gives me such enjoyment to drive and I have driven a few. What a great car.
Too bad it sold soo bad in the US to get a bad rap!
Welcome to the club!

Q intake runners give you an instant 20 more HP...yes for real.

http://www.alfissimo.com/index.php?productID=29
Ciao!
Jason

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Yes 164's do handle!

The last alfa meet I was at we went down a very twisty road. In the lead was a fiat x 1/9, which I was behind. I kept up with him, the guy behind me was in a spider of 70/s vintage. After we parked at a nice coast side spot the guy in the spider came up to me. His words were, and I quote "man that car really hustles for a big 4 door sedan!" To which I replied "the 164's do not get pitched around on bumpy road like a rear drive alfa does. And its very good at the corners too." He said "I could see the suspension working over the bumps, I am impressed." I said, "yes, and thats the factory suspension doing its job after 195,000 miles!" And yes, I have original factory struts, which need replaced but still do the job. These cars are very underrated, even by those in the alfa community. I am certain of one thing, I was definately in more comfort then the spider driver! Long live the 164!

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
I drove all three of my Alfa's today, the L to test out the TO bearing, the GTV6 to drop off my dead battery at the Harley dealer and the S to Hooters to check out the menu ;) and I'll have to say that this was a great day. The weather in SD is great today and the roads were somewhat idiot free. I love my Alfa's in different ways, the 164's for the ease and comfort in which they do their thing and my GTV6 for the skill and rewards it requires and gives to the driver. Just great cars! Now I need a nice 71 GTV 1750 to round it all out...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Glad you are enjoying the LS I sold to you. I poured alot into that car and in the end I didnt have the time anymore to finish it. I think you are probably driving around one of the only LS's that has been converted from an auto to a 5-speed in the states! Enjoy.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks Anthony !!!
I have really been enjoying the car, it has turned me into a 164 fan for sure !
I just replaced the rear wheel bearing that was bad- $250 from DiFatta ! Yikes.
Got the back-up lights and brake lights working and it passed inspection. I've driven it a couple of thousand miles already and absolutely love it! I appreciate all the effort you put into the car, it really shows in the great condition. I'm sorry you didn't get more for it on evilbay. But know that it is being driven daily and will be taken good care of!

Jeez, Jason, Q runners, eh? I don't know, it is mighty fast now, I can hardly get to use all the power it has stock, let alone hot-rodding it! The motor head in me say's "Do it!!" Do you have a set? How much?

·
Premium Member
9,813 Posts
Thanks Anthony !!!
I have really been enjoying the car, it has turned me into a 164 fan for sure !
I just replaced the rear wheel bearing that was bad- $250 from DiFatta ! Yikes.
Got the back-up lights and brake lights working and it passed inspection. I've driven it a couple of thousand miles already and absolutely love it! I appreciate all the effort you put into the car, it really shows in the great condition. I'm sorry you didn't get more for it on evilbay. But know that it is being driven daily and will be taken good care of!

Jeez, Jason, Q runners, eh? I don't know, it is mighty fast now, I can hardly get to use all the power it has stock, let alone hot-rodding it! The motor head in me say's "Do it!!" Do you have a set? How much?
Well, here goes. The Q runners give he car totally different characteristics, Where the LS is very powerful on the low to mid the Q is more powerful mid to high.
To put this simply you get to really get on it and really hear the engine music and power with the Q runners. Engine wise that is the only difference between them.
I would not say it is hot rodding it since it is a OEM part..hehe but you would always have that extra 20hp to play with if you feel the need.
Most people love the upgrade.
I have a couple sets coming in if interested? Let me know as one set is sold already and I am sure the other will go too as I can never keep these in-stock for long.

Thanks
Jason

1 - 20 of 22 Posts