Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Gang,

I'm regularly having to top off my brake fluid reservoir. I believe the fluid is seeping out of the bottom of the reservoir. Of the two rubber grommets connecting the reservoir to the master cylinder, the one closest to the firewall looks wet.
Advice on continuing my investigation?
How does the reservoir connect to the master cylinder?

Assume my knowledge of the brake system is sub-par.

Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
it's almost a alfa romeo spider
11,253 Posts
i had the same problem a few months ago.. remove the res.. remove the 2 rubber gormets.. CLEAN really well re-instale.. leak should go away.. there might be rust dirt etc.. well they will be the last 3.. cleaning it will work fine.. also you can get these gormets at vw/ audi/bmw/saab/ vovlo.. cost in the mial order? 3-5 dollars.. shipping 6-10 dollars

·
Registered
524 Posts
Thank you.
To remove the reservoir, just pull up and side to side (read: wiggle)?
Yes. Wiggle. Obviously, you should drain it first any way you can.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Thanks guys, I'll give that a shot and let you know the results.

WithanF, great signature.
Took it from a Philly sports writer named Bill Lyon. Bill could write better than any sports guy I ever read. Bill used to write very eloquently about Lance Armstrong. Bill's wife was dying of cancer. Lance sent Bill's wife one of his yellow jerseys for inspiration. Bill described the jersey with the words I use in my sig.

·
Registered
66 Posts
leaking reservoir

Have you looked inside the brake booster? The brake m/c will leak from rear seal into booster. If wet inside or @ bottom of booster, brake m/c is bad. Forget the seals;order new m/c.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Have you looked inside the brake booster? The brake m/c will leak from rear seal into booster. If wet inside or @ bottom of booster, brake m/c is bad. Forget the seals;order new m/c.
The booster is currently bypassed and I should start with inexpensive and easy parts to replace first. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
No Air is introduced.
To protect your paint and avoid a mess...syphon or remove as much of the brake fluid from the reservoir as you can. Have lots of rags handy..
Elio

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Elio, I bought this crazy expensive tool that sucks the fluid out for me. I believe it was made somewhere fancy in Europe =)

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts