Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The brake fluid reservoir, from my '67 Duetto, leaks where the fitting for the brake line attaches to the reservoir. Here are some photos of what I have. Am I missing an O ring, or perhaps a copper washer? If not is there perhaps a sealant I can use?

Attachments

·
Registered
452 Posts
I don't know if there should be an additional washer to the one pictured. However, it's worth the effort to scuff the mating surfaces of the washer and nipple with Scotchbrite, etc., to ensure they're smooth and varnish-free. Then consider applying oil-grade teflon tape to eliminate the possibility of fluid seepage down the threads. White pipe tape is for water, while pink / yellow withstands oil. Available at home centers.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Thread Sealant

Permatex High Temperature Thread Sealant (PX 59234 or the 50 ml size ) is listed as compatible with brake fluid. I successfully used some and sealed my leaking reservoir fitting(finally) a year ago and so far no more drips.

Don

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
RECALLED!!!!:eek: Boy !! Who do I call to complain that the recall wasn't done on my car!!!:rolleyes: I'm painting the engine bay, so I'll have time to try to seal it. I"ll try the permatex first, but it seems to be leaking between the fitting, and the plastic canister. If all else fails Classic Alfa has new ones for a little less than $50 + shipping+ duty. I'll post more photos, when it's fixed.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I think I fixed it. I went down to the local NAPA Auto Parts store, and found an O ring to fit between the fitting, and the bottom of the fluid reservoir. Its 10mmX2.0mm part #727 2606. So far there's not a drop of fluid on the fitting, or on my freshly painted firewall:D. View attachment 213308

Attachments

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Tom, you might also find this other thread interesting regarding an internal rubber seal. I think I will also do the same as you with the o ring as my car was also missing alot of paint around the brake reservoir, and I couldnt bare to do it to my new paint again.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I think I fixed it. I went down to the local NAPA Auto Parts store, and found an O ring to fit between the fitting, and the bottom of the fluid reservoir. Its 10mmX2.0mm part #727 2606. So far there's not a drop of fluid on the fitting, or on my freshly painted firewall:D. View attachment 213308
Tom,

Nice looking engine compartment. Are you going to have it all back together for the Eurocar show?

Dick Stachowiak
71 GTV
71 Spider

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Unfortunately no. It's become a quite a "while the motor is out" project. I should at least have it running by the following weekend. Diane and I will be at the show. It'll be good to see everyone again. I'll try not to look too closely, because I'm sure to find find some more "while it's out" projects.

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,048 Posts
The new replacements have an o-ring above the lower fitting.

So far that is holding except they come without a gasket or gasket/bladder combo per the other thread.

The dark red Earls Girling bladders do not fit. See that post.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts