Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After buying my '74 Spider fairly recently, I checked the burman steering box and it was dry. However, upon filling it with 90w oil, it's seeping out the bottom seal. I know that some shops recommend filling it with grease instead, however, I'd like to replace the seal. Has anyone on the board done that, and can the seal be replaced without removing the box?

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
Same issue on my GTV

If its the same steering box like in a GTV then all of them leak with the stock cap. My cap can be taken off with my fingers. I asked my mechanic and he said its a common thing and not to worry about it. Eventually it will stop leaking.

If you find a cap that doesn't leak tell me about it.

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Is this "cap" your talking about, the bottom shaft seal? It'll stop leaking when all the lubricant runs out, however, I'd like to keep lubricant in there so the box does not wear out prematurely.

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As far as I know there's only one seal on the bottom of the unit. It's the seat that goes around the shaft that operates the steering arm (that attaches to the tie rod and center rod arms). It looks to me that if I removed the steering arm and could somehow remove the press fit old seal, I could tap in a new one using an arbor. But, I be interested in knowing if any one esle has done that in-situ before. Removing the steering box is a major time consuming operation.

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
As far as I know there's only one seal on the bottom of the unit. It's the seat that goes around the shaft that operates the steering arm (that attaches to the tie rod and center rod arms). It looks to me that if I removed the steering arm and could somehow remove the press fit old seal, I could tap in a new one using an arbor. But, I be interested in knowing if any one esle has done that in-situ before. Removing the steering box is a major time consuming operation.
Is it still leaking?

·
Registered
8,982 Posts
... i took my seal out with the box inside the car..not that hard..i have an 1984 spider.. but the arm that goe's on the shaft is sometimes very hard to take off get one of those pitman arm pullers, and slowly tighen it up, spray a little oil in that area.. tap on the arm.. tighen..repeat... it should pop off, the seal comes out easyly, just clean the area really well instale the new seal fill....or mine leaked out all the oil i put in( could not find a seal at the time, so i cleaned and reused the old seal)i am running stp motor oil tratment in my box... works well no binding and very smooth..no leaks at all 6 months into it..also if you do remove the pitman arm. make the shaft at one point and the arm at the same point.. also smear a lot of anti-seize on the shaft so it will remove at a latter date easyer..

·
Premium Member
13,486 Posts
Replacing the seal is the long term fix. A medium term fix is to fill the steering box with grease. I bought a large quantity of Chevron semi-liquid grease a few years ago to "fix" the steering box on my 73 GTV. The minimum purchase quantity was about 40lb. It will pour through a funnel. I have a lot left. Let me know if you need some.
Ed Prytherch

·
Registered
657 Posts
Snapper Gear Oil is a similar consistency (much more viscous than oil, but not a solid like grease), and you can buy 1 qt jugs at any good small engine parts house. Since it appears to "flow" inside the box and not trap air, I have used that in my steering boxes even after replacing the seal.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Replacing the seal is the long term fix. A medium term fix is to fill the steering box with grease. I bought a large quantity of Chevron semi-liquid grease a few years ago to "fix" the steering box on my 73 GTV. The minimum purchase quantity was about 40lb. It will pour through a funnel. I have a lot left. Let me know if you need some.
Ed Prytherch
I had the same problem with my Spider and was instructed by my mechanic to fill the box full of grease. Its hard to get that grease into the box sufficiently enough to fill and properly lubricate.

I would be interested in using the Chevron semi-liquid. Where did you find it and perhaps could you provide more specifics?

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
Nice to see this old thread come back to life.

My steering box leaks like crazy when the fluid level is anything above the fill mark so that's where I keep it. But even then it still leaks a little.

I heard that putting 2 table spoons of brake fluid in will swell up the seal and stop the leak too.

·
Premium Member
13,486 Posts
Dimitri:
I tried to reply to your email and I was bounced.

Pour the grease into the box through a funnel. It will go faster if you stand the container of grease in hot water for 10 minutes,

Ed

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,030 Posts
I filed mine (a Burman) with grease over 20 years ago and have not had a problem since. Badly leaking seal. First I pushed a small tube down to the bottom and sucked up all kinds of gunk (water, debris, old nasty oil, etc.). Who knows how it got there, perhaps steam cleaning the engine bay, condensation? I then flushed it with paint thinner and sucked it out good again. Then I again pushed the tube down as far as I could get it and pumped until grease came out the top hole. (Where that loose-fitting plastic plug goes). I figure were are still a few voids but being next to the exhaust manifold will soften it and let it move around. I just may stick a small tube down and try to suck up anymore water that may have spontaneously formed in it someday when I get a lot of bigger issues sorted out and get a round tuit. Next time I pull the engine I will probably do it up right. and the resort to grease after 5-7 years again.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have a slightly different problem. the ZF box in my 66 GT has wear in one area. it cannot be adjusted out. I have found a spare burman box. are these interchangeable? are there different lengths of steering columns and pittman arms I need to be aware of? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
8,982 Posts
...i took apart my old zf box..and was supised to find out that most if not all the fluid that you pour into it stays in the top of the box...most of the vertical shaft is a bronze bushing, very tight fit...just the upper part of the steering box holds the fuild..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts