Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First a little back story. Last year I got done bring a 71 spider back to life after sitting for 15 years. In that process I replaced the master cylinder from one of our vendors.

Recently I gave the car a "health check"... look for lose bolts, leaks, etc... I noticed the rear brake fluid reservoir was almost empty while the front was ok. Checking all the brake lines/joints/calipers on the rear system everything was dry and the brakes work fine. So I suspect the new MC is leaking into the brake booster.

So the question to the group is... if I confirm this is the problem, how to fix it. I'm hesitant to just complain to the vendor and get another one of the same build quality. Do I send the existing one out to a place like White Post to replace the seals and verify pistons/bore are correct? Are there quality rebuild kits out there?

What are your thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
10,591 Posts
Ugh. You probably have diagnosed it correctly (e.g., fluid getting sucked into the booster). Do you get a puff of white smoke when braking?

Without knowing the type of replacement MC that you bought, who you got it from, how many miles are on it, etc. it's kind of hard to answer your question (not that I want to start a round of vendor bashing here). You could try installing a rebuild kit. You could try sourcing an ATE-made cylinder if your existing one is a knock-off. Then too, I don't know where/how ATE makes its cylinders these days; they may be no better than the no-name ones. Your experience is becoming increasingly common when installing replacement parts, even premier brand parts.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So some more info... car has less than 1000 miles since the master was replaced. No white smoke no braking. Master is made my InterBrakes. Also I just removed the vacuum hose fitting to look inside the booster...dry. Also pushed a paper towel to the bottom... dry. Maybe not 100% for sure test but makes me wondering if I'm just crying wolf about the MC.

Thanks Brian... I didn't have Karps as a possibility.

·
Super Moderator
10,591 Posts
Also I just removed the vacuum hose fitting to look inside the booster...dry. Also pushed a paper towel to the bottom... dry. Maybe not 100% for sure test but makes me wondering if I'm just crying wolf about the MC.
Hmm - maybe the MC isn't the culprit. I'd look again at the components in the rear brake circuit: pressure limiter, calipers, "T" fitting on diff, etc. to check for seepage.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts