Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

First post here. Bought myself a 91 spider a few years ago from a guy who let it sit for about 5 years. So I've slowly been dealing with cracked hoses and such. The latest one is a couple of splits in the short injector hoses between the fuel rail and the injector. Centerline sells a kit to repair them but states that they are for L-Jetronic cars only (up to 89) where mine is Motronic. So I'm not sure I can make that one work.

Has anyone else have experience with this? Kinda hoping to do this without replacing the entire injector.

·
Registered
7,264 Posts
I doubt there is any difference between S3 L-jet (that centerline sells) and S4 Motronic injector hoses!

As the main work involved is removing the injection rail, I'd personally just send the whole rail off to someone like OK injectors and have the injectors sonically cleaned, serviced, all new seals etc (and these might also be going, if the hoses are showing signs of age) and replaced back on the rail for you professionally (cost maybe 150$?)

In the UK you can get a full service kit for the S4 injectors:
Alfa Romeo Spider 1990-1994 fuel injector service kit 0280150764 - Mr Injector uk
That is the guy (Steve) I sent my motronic fuel rail off to (I am in Europe) and I think it was about 100 GB pounds.

but of course if you just want to replace the hoses, this thread mentions BMW hose that fits....but just replacing a hose might be false economy.
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/spider-105-115-series-1966-1994/411537-86-spider-leaking-fuel-injector-hose.html

oh, and welcome on board:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I appreciate the reply. I really do need to get on my sig and stuff, I'm in Canada actually, but will be in London in a few weeks. Unfortunately, I don't think the wife will appreciate a fuel rail in the luggage. But the kit you pointed me to looks like just the ticket. I'm gonna grab one.

·
Premium Member
1,470 Posts
If you are going to do the work yourself, here are a couple of pointers:
1. The four fuel injector ports in the head are countersunk, and each contain a small plastic grommet that the spray tip of the injector fits into. These little round rings can easily slip out of the head when the injectors are unbolted and extracted. Take care not to lose any of them as new OEM ones are no longer available.
2. The small sections of rubber hose that connect the injectors to the rail slide onto "barbed" metal nipples at both the rail and injector sides (under the ferrules). Never use a knife to cut a slit in the old hose when attempting to separate it from the metal pipe nozzles, as the sharp, one-way barbs that hold the hose fast can easily be damaged by a blade, and cause a leak when the new hoses are installed. For that reason, the shop manual recommends using a soldering iron to "melt" the rubber at the fittings to separate them from the nipples without risking any destruction to the metal barbs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts