Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again, I got an 88 Alfa 75 2.0TS right off the boat

I think the euro models and Us models got different gas tanks.

Alright so I got a leaking gas tank, when full there is a slow leak from the passenger side of the tank only and drips off the bottom. I recently checked the fuel level sender seal, that was good and I reinforced it with gas tank repair clay, that seemed alright, there was no pool of gas around that area.

I also replaced all the fuel lines with the correct ones.

I also checked the fuel filler seal inside the trunk that goes to the top of the tank, those seem dry too

It is not leaking out of the gas cap as far as I know, I cant see any leaks from the outside.

Is there anything I missed that I should check to see where it is leaking from?

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
Might be a plastic tank. The one on my 89 75 is. Check the cap seal as well. I know, you did but keep an eye there. Mine would allow an odor when fuller than usual but no liquid. ciao, jc

·
Registered
567 Posts
It's a steel tank.

95% certain that it is the float-sender seal despite the clay bodge.

Replace the seal with a new one, it's a very tight fit.

The one on the right came out of my Evo and is in bad enough shape to cause a significant leak when you fill it to the max.

The other possibility is of course that the sender unit itself is leaking. That is plastic after all and can crack.

This is what the seal for the fuelpump unit that goes into the front of the fuel tank looks like after 27 loyal years of service:

My advise: take the tank out, clean it, especially the mating surface for these seals, give it a coat of paint to protect it and change both seals.

So, unless you have a perforated tank, that should take care of matters.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What is strange is the seal is relatively new and has no cracks whatsoever, the sender could be leaking though, not sure. It literally took two of us with mallets and screwdrivers to turn it so we could get it on and off. The mating surface on the tank had some surface rust on it so that could be the cause but I am not sure. I may take it off again and wire brush the whole mating surface.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Unfortunately the twinspark tank which is under the car, rather than the v6 which is in the boot, are notorious for rusting here in the uk.

If your lucky, it's the fuel sender seal. But I've seen too many that just rot from the top, as a result of being a bit of a wet trap on the top of the tank behind the rear wheels........normally starts around the strap areas. In conjunction with high ethanol fuel left standing in storage, absorbing water over time, and helping the top half to rot from the inside out. Sometimes they can't even be solder repaired, and good tanks are fast becoming hard to find on the secondhand market.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll definitely keep that in mind and inspect the tank fully when I get the chance too.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
I suspect that Jamie is right on this. I've replaced a few tanks in my time and it's usually rust in the extreme right rear corner of the tank. There's a nasty mud trap there and the stupid mounting method for the tank (three M8 bolts holding 50 litres of fuel up against the boot floor?) doesn't help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts