Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I discovered today that my electric fuel pump is leaking. A lot. I have a '77 alfa spider. I'm pretty handy with cars, but International auto parts told me I'll have to retrofit a different pump with only two outputs and a different size. On top of that, I'm far from home. Help!

·
Premium Member
22,813 Posts
These Bosch pumps commonly leak when they get old, especially after periods of sitting from nonuse.

I'd look for a good used original pump here, on ebay, or at Alfa Parts Exchange (209) 833-8330. You might also try Centerline in Boulder, CO. I've had good luck with their parts and recommendations.

Andrew

·
Registered
612 Posts
i`ve used one from volvo 940 (as far as I remember) only electrical connection were different, but i have 85 wuth FI, so your 77 may be completely different story.

·
Registered
what part?
10,753 Posts
you can get a pump off a 240 volo, or a porshe 924/944...or any bmw with l-jet,,,i keep a volvo pump in my trunk as a spare*( i ran it in some motor oil to keep it lubed up..just stuck a hose on the intake of the pump, and one on the exit of the pump.. ran it for a sec or two, oil came out..pulled the hoses. let it drip most of it out.. caped the pump unions,,2 pastic bags..done)

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
As I recall the elect pump for the Spica is simple to fix. I believe that it can be sealed up with a couple of o-rings that can be found at any auto parts store, hydraulic supply, truck shop, or equipment dealer. Just take a sample of the o-ring with you 'cuz you'll never find it by application. Did one about a year ago and it was a breeze.

·
Registered
4,860 Posts
What I found was that the pump was leaking around the electrical connector and wasn't rebuildable. Is it possible I over looked something?

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
The old original AEG gear-driven pumps were self-rebuildable, but not the newer ones. Those were "dry" pumps as opposed to the "wet" pumps now.

Don't get cheap and stupid when it comes to mixing electricity and gasoline.

·
Registered
4,860 Posts
John,
Do you remember what kind of brushes were used in the bottom of the motors when people rebuilt them. Wasn't it brushes from a vacuum cleaner?

·
Registered
162 Posts
I replaced the Spica electric tank pump on my 1969 1750 Spider with a Bosch pump applicable to a BMW 320I. Some minor adjustments to secure the new pump in the original housing and its worked great ever since.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts