Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
8,448 Posts
3.4 bar should be fine, that is close to 50psi
the FI hose by the same manufacturer (Gates Barricade Greenshield is rated to 225psi !)

not sure why you are getting a rich exhaust....you mean plumes of smoke out the exhaust?
Anything else you touched ?....;)

·
Premium Member
1986 Spider Veloce
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #22

The exhaust cleared up after i restarted the car and let it run for a minute.

I tied it up an did a test drive.
All dry and car drove ok.

Think I’m good to drive home. Whew

What a fun little project :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
10,931 Posts
but risk the line exploded while on the road?
That "not for fuel injection" hose should be fine for a few hundred miles. Probably for a lot further/longer than that.

I am getting very rich exhaust. Clouds of it when I give it gas.
Can't explain that, but doubt it has anything to do with your leak. I'd drive the car a few miles and see if it clears up. <Just read the post you were typing at the same time that I was writing this one - I'm not surprised to hear that the clouds of smoke thing cleared up - the Alfa gods can be cruel, but not THAT cruel. Your repair looks good!>

·
Registered
what part?
9,895 Posts
from the fuel tank to the pump reg, fuel line is ok,,not to much pressure there..i think 3-5 pounds. but from the pump under the car , anything after that, yes f.i. hose, this is under fuel inection pressure, 45-60 psi

·
Premium Member
1986 Spider Veloce
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
Home again, home again!

<Just read the post you were typing at the same time that I was writing this one - I'm not surprised to hear that the clouds of smoke thing cleared up - the Alfa gods can be cruel, but not THAT cruel. Your repair looks good!>
Thank goodness - I was really feeling beat up. Just wanted the car running so I could get home. The repair wasn't even the hard part except getting the original hose off the hard line - I had to cut it off it was so stuck. It was the multiple trips - an hour long each - to get the right hoses. First they gave me 3/4" and the wrong fasteners, then they gave me 5/16, but it turned out not to be FI rated.

Any real mechanic knows you are supposed to cut off the tails of those zip ties - leaving razor sharp edges to slice your knuckles at every opportunity.
Some do, better to use flush cutters and have beautiful undamaged knuckles.
:)
It bugged me to leave them there but by that point I had been under the car, in the dirt and mud, for two days. It was raining and I didn't bring my snippers with me. I just couldn't bring myself to crawl under again... especially knowing that I need to replace the hose with F.I. rated hose anyway.
(That all being said - I really enjoyed fixing it... just wish I got it the first time :p)

from the fuel tank to the pump reg, fuel line is ok,,not to much pressure there..i think 3-5 pounds. but from the pump under the car , anything after that, yes f.i. hose, this is under fuel inection pressure, 45-60 psi
Thanks! The line is rated for 50psi, so hoping it'll hold until I can get a new one.

Anyone have a source for the "special" bended one? It's the short line from the fuel filter "out" to the hard line headed to the engine. Or should I plan on doing what I did with the loop.

(@ghnl and @vintagemilano - I'll snip them that time and prepare my knuckles... not sure I'll pick up the flush tool... yet. until my knuckles get beat up I bet :cool: )

·
Premium Member
86 Veloce
1,162 Posts
Centerline has that formed hose. Under Bosch fuel system, page 5....

Reactions: Lantheaume

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
Totally cool it went well. One trick to make it a bit more comfortable next time, break the seam and open up flat an old cardboard box and lay on that. I usually use wine bottle box or bigger, mostly at home for just regular work. I scored some uncut fridge boxes a few years ago, they were great, no seams.

·
Premium Member
1986 Spider Veloce
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Centerline has that formed hose. Under Bosch fuel system, page 5....
Thanks for the pointer! This one?

This looks like the wide one from to the pump. I need the thinner one from the filter out to the hard line.

I looked on there but don’t see another hose. I’ll call them this week to ask.

I think it was @ghnl ; who mentioned he thought there was a u shaped hose, but I can’t find it.

·
Premium Member
1986 Spider Veloce
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Totally cool it went well. One trick to make it a bit more comfortable next time, break the seam and open up flat an old cardboard box and lay on that. I usually use wine bottle box or bigger, mostly at home for just regular work. I scored some uncut fridge boxes a few years ago, they were great, no seams.
Tnx! Great minds - I have a few boxes from when we got the kids bean bag chairs that I used at home for the fuel filter, but I was enroute to a friends Camp/cabin when the hose sprung a leak. No cardboard .

Tried a foam mat they had for floating on the lake but it was too thick.

All good tho. Now I have (yet another) Alfa story.

·
Registered
8,448 Posts
I don't think anyone supplies the hose to/from the fuel filter hose pre-formed.

Fuel line 4.jpg

The centerline "S" shaped hose is tank > pump hose (might not even be FI rated as there is no pressure there, plus it will be larger diameter)

Either just leave it as you have done it (loop) or perhaps try one of those hose spirals if you can get them in the correct diameter.
Like this Goodyear EZ bend:

hose bend EZ goodyear.jpeg

·
Premium Member
86 Veloce
1,162 Posts
I had thought about wrapping a hose with tie wire, thinking it would serve the purpose of the product Dom posted. I did some searching and found Gates Universal coil. Made for just this application and made by Gates I bet a local parts store would have these available.

·
Premium Member
1986 Spider Veloce
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Before I go crazy with alternative solutions - I can't be the only person who's had to replace this 34 year old hose, right?
Did others have issues getting it to run w/o kinks or need to use the coil thingy? Am I the only one who's been stupid brazen enough to replace it?

@SkiBum - if memory serves, and I haven't taken the time to search old threads or my notes so apologies, but I thought I remember you providing a source for fuel line that was less expensive and you just bought enough to replace for your entire car. Am I anywhere close?

I'm thinking about just buying enough hose for the whole car and replace it as I go (or one big winter project). I've one a few pieces, the PO (my dad) has done a bit - but my bet is there's lots of old hose on there and it'd be nice to know a "known good replacement date" for the hoses.

·
Premium Member
86 Veloce
1,162 Posts
I did replace all mine. The only place that needs a very specific size is the injector hose. From the tank to the pump doesn't have to be FI hose so it is considerably cheaper. Only the line after the pump needs to be pressure rated. And let me admit, I made a loop down by the pump and one section has a bit of a kink. Has for months now. Hasn't affected performance at all but it is on my list to replace it. Now since those coils have come to light it is time to stop by NAPA and see if I can find one the right size.

·
Premium Member
1986 Spider Veloce
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
@SkiBum - this was the post I was thinking about. Looks like it was for vacuum hose and not fuel line.

Did some more research -
Found this old post from @ghnl
From IAP's web page in the link provided by intune:

Quality metric hose, designed for fuel injected applications.
7.5mm I.D. is for fuel to rail injectors on many cars.
8mm I.D. is typically used from fuel pump forward, on carbureted & injected cars.
12mm I.D. is typically used between tank & pump on injected cars.
Looking around on Centerline they list the 7.5 mm as the fuel pump forward size (and don't indicate the difference between the fuel rail and the rest of the line)

7.5 mm fuel line used in various applications between fuel pump and metal hard lines, and between metal hard lines and various components under hood.
Regardless, any suggestions on how much length to buy if I was going to purchase for the whole car?

Might try to get some F.I. rated 7.5-8mm locally to tide me over. Not sure what my local places have and I don't want to wait to fix the line too long, but I'd like to plan ahead now to have "enough".

·
Premium Member
86 Veloce
1,162 Posts
Except for the injector hose I wouldn't worry about needing metric hose, just get the standard hose closest to your application from the local parts store. Just remember the hose after the pump needs to be pressure rated. Yeah, that old post is for replacing all the vacuum hoses. I like the silicone, no need for clamps and very forgiving.

·
Registered
what part?
9,895 Posts

The exhaust cleared up after i restarted the car and let it run for a minute.

I tied it up an did a test drive.
All dry and car drove ok.

Think I’m good to drive home. Whew

What a fun little project :)

pretty

·
Registered
78 Alfa Spider
95 Posts
Here is what I use. Works great. A little expensive but works for every bend in the fuel line. I use 1/2 inch hose barb to splice the lines together where/if needed.. You can use this hose from the tank to the pump, BUT NOT FROM THE PUMP FORWARD. They are not rated high enough....

·
Registered
8,448 Posts
Here is what I use. Works great. A little expensive but works for every bend in the fuel line. I use 1/2 inch hose barb to splice the lines together where/if needed.. You can use this hose from the tank to the pump, BUT NOT FROM THE PUMP FORWARD. They are not rated high enough....

if you read the ad it says rated to 75psi working pressure and 250 psi burst pressure
surely that is plenty for our FI system?

same company has 8mm ID too
good idea.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts