Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
1986 Spider Veloce
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replaced the fuel filter yesterday and checked for leaks - looked all good.

Drove 90 miles on a day trip and noticed it’s leaking from the the OUT side of the filter.
Looks like I split the line a little when I was tightening it.

I have duct tape and access to a NAPA. Rather not get into a long fix while on the road, but rather not tow it home either.

Suggestions on getting it well enough to get it home?

It’s slow dripping when off, when the engine is running it streams, but not gushing.

Will try to post a video.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1986 Spider Veloce
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
To be clearer. The line looks to be leaking, not the filter.
It’s just the line on the out side of the filter, close to the metal band that you tighten over it.

·
Premium Member
1986 Spider Veloce
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Car off, drip.

·
Registered
5,655 Posts
go buy a new hose and replace the leaking one. Hose, razor blade, and a screwdriver. Or, see if there is enough slack to cut 1/2 inch off the end and reattach

Reactions: Lantheaume

·
Premium Member
1986 Spider Veloce
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@goats ;
Thanks.
Know the diameter of the hose?

·
Administrator
17,238 Posts
The hose is probably 12mm ID - but 1/2" is close enough.

If that is the hose I'm remembering the original was 'molded' - made in a U-shape. When replacing it with a length of straight hose, make your new one long enough that it'll make a gentle bend without kinking. You might need a zip tie so it doesn't hang down and get snagged.

Maybe I'm thinking of the hose that exits the fuel pump...?

·
Premium Member
1986 Spider Veloce
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So that was a painful few hours under the car in my friends back yard.

It does look like the U one you mention - didn’t think so, but the new one I put on is kinking.

I have more hose so I can try again tomorrow. Anything i shouldbt zip tie too around there?

They only had 9.5 mm and that line is 9 I think. So it’s too wide.

I really had to crank down on the fasteners to get it to stop leaking - it should get me home, but sounds like I’ll need to buy the proper hose when o get back.

The old one had a crack in it right where I cut it apart (to see if I could do @goats ; idea.

Day trip looks like an overnight now

·
Registered
8,445 Posts
To be clearer. The line looks to be leaking, not the filter.
It’s just the line on the out side of the filter, close to the metal band that you tighten over it.
12mm ID? Yes, from Tank to pump...

but pump forwards, iirc, is 8mm ID
so trying to tighten 9,5mm on it won't really work well.

if your local Napa has 5/16" that should get you home safe...but buy enough to loop it so you do not have that bend......that is no good at all.

·
Premium Member
845 Posts
Spiderserie4 recommendation to buy enough hose to make s loop to avoid the kink is fantastic, there are even a few things there to zip tie the loop to so it’s secure.

·
Premium Member
1986 Spider Veloce
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well - making the best of our “day trip”.
Some Covid safe time on a lake with friends on their boat.

Things could be much worse :)

Tomorrow AM back to NAPA for some 5/16th long enough to loop. If they don’t have that I’ll get more 3/8. The piece I have of 3/8 isn’t long enough to loop.

At least it’s not leaking fuel right now.

I think that if I get hose long enough I can make a P shape and get it so it doesn’t kink and get 2 hours home.

·
Registered
what part?
9,895 Posts
also get the right hose clamp,,get fuel injection rated hose clamp, not a lesser on that you have, that one is good for low pressure systems,, water.. vacumm lines..

·
Premium Member
1986 Spider Veloce
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
also get the right hose clamp,,get fuel injection rated hose clamp, not a lesser on that you have, that one is good for low pressure systems,, water.. vacumm lines..
Thanks - so do you think the clamps I have on (the photo with kinked line) aren’t the right kind?

·
Registered
what part?
9,895 Posts
on post no.8. sorry all the ones i can see are the ' worm ' type on post no 2 video that one is correct.. and were are you trapped?

·
Premium Member
1986 Spider Veloce
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
woke up to rain - good thing I put the roof up last night

Checked the 3/8” line and it hasn’t leaked overnight. So, although not under pressure I did get it clamped down enough.

The fuel filter side dripped the entire time I was working on it - had vice grips on it to try to slow it, but figured it’d stop on its own at some point. Nope.

Hoping the rain stops by the time NAPA opens as I’m not looking forward to working under the car in the rain.

Plan is to get enough 5/16” to make an S or P loop. I’ll get more 3/8” too - rather have options then make another 40 min trip to the store.

Pull the small line, replace with the longer one, and then give it a start - if no leaking get home.

I looked for the proper formed hose and can’t find it online easily. Centerline has the one TO the fuel pump, but I don’t see one for FROM the filter to the hard line.

·
Premium Member
1986 Spider Veloce
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
on post no.8. sorry all the ones i can see are the ' worm ' type on post no 2 video that one is correct.. and were are you trapped?
In the video are the original ones.

In post 8 are the ones that the store sold me with the new hose. I think those are the worm type you mean?

I’m stuck at a friends cabin - a very pleasant place to be stuck to be honest. But we had planned a day trip so we’re a bit unprepared.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
This is the type of clamps now sold for fuel injection hoses. I use them for carbs as well, much easier to make a good seal on small OD hoses. You have to get the right size for your hoses, they do not have the same range as the worm ones.
Capture d’écran, le 2020-07-26 à 09.03.53.png
Think about it, their geometry is practically identical to the Romablok clamps Alfa was using in the 60s and 70s.

I was thinking of suggesting a 90 degree fitting, but it would only move the kink elsewhere.

·
Premium Member
1986 Spider Veloce
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I asked for a fuel injection hose and only after I got it installed did I see the “not for fuel injection” on it.

Safe enough to get 100 miles or another hour trip to the store.

It’s long and I haven’t shortened it yet. Have the proper clamps.

I really want to start it and see if it leasks, but risk the line exploded while on the road?

·
Premium Member
1986 Spider Veloce
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Do see this in the manual

Working pressure = 2.26-2.65 bar. The line is rated for 3.4 bar.
Should be ok?

·
Premium Member
1986 Spider Veloce
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It started ok after priming the line.
Gave it throttle - ok
Checked line and it didn’t drip or anything.

I am getting very rich exhaust. Clouds of it when I give it gas.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts