Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 1984 spider voloce that I’m trying to sort out. All of a sudden it’s leaking a lot of clutch ( brake fluid). Clutch going to floor - this happened suddenly - I fill it up reservoir- dont even drive it and a day later it’s reservoir is empty. Odd part is I can’t find where it’s leaking It’s showing up under the master- Line and slave cylinder side is dry - under the reservoir is also dry. I am new at this so please forgive my ignorance! Lol. I don’t know where it’s escaping but is actually dripping on suspension so it’s coming out somewhere. Can anyone assist? Thank you
Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive exterior Vehicle Car

Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Tire Vehicle registration plate

Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Road surface

Hood Light Black Automotive tire Automotive lighting

·
Premium Member
6,779 Posts
yep, its leaking past the first seal, into the bellows, and out the bellows most likely. Look at the linkage and squeeze the black bellows and see if you get brake fluid coming out

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
yep, its leaking past the first seal, into the bellows, and out the bellows most likely. Look at the linkage and squeeze the black bellows and see if you get brake fluid coming out
Agreed. You beat me to it. ;)

·
But Mad North-Northwest
12,594 Posts
If it were leaking at the MC I'd think it would be pretty obvious, though, as it would be damp below the MC. He's saying it's dry there, and yet there's liquid under the car.

Maybe the connection from the hard line to the hose, or the hose itself has sprung a leak. I'd jack it up, have someone hold the pedal down to keep it the hydraulics under pressure, and then it should be pretty obvious where it's leaking from.

·
Premium Member
6,779 Posts
I had one three weeks ago, bone dry on the underbody of the MC. The fluid was leaking out of the bellows and dripping down onto the body ridge where it ran down to under the MC and down from there. Took one squeeze of the bellows to see that it was full.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
mysterly MC leaks are useualy "internal IE inside the car above the pedal, and untill it fills the "boot" enough to drip on your shoes youll never notice, the fact that it "works" but is losing fluid and you have no drips on the ground...my money is on a seal bypass to the interior..VERY common, and the rebuild kit for those is CHEEP and easy

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Who is Mystery? Oh, you mean mysteries. ;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had one three weeks ago, bone dry on the underbody of the MC. The fluid was leaking out of the bellows and dripping down onto the body ridge where it ran down to under the MC and down from there. Took one squeeze of the bellows to see that it was full.
Ok I did find where the leak is coming from. Remember I’m a newbie so please let me apologize for my ignorance. The fluid seems to be coming from the bottom of that brake booster next to the master brake cylinder reservoir. It’s not losing any brake fluid from the brakes but the clutch fluid will be empty within 24 hours of just sitting. Any suggestions?

Who is Mystery? Oh, you mean mysteries. ;)

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
replace it or rebuild it, last i saw the re-seal kit was very VERY cheep and its very simple to do
2/3(is the rod on a pin or a bolt i forget) bolts remove it from the car and 1 line, as far as rebuilding it as i recall all you need is a pair of c ring pullers

overall its a very simple job

·
Premium Member
6,779 Posts
Rebuild or replace your CLUTCH MASTER CYLINDER. I have NO IDEA how clutch hydraulics are leaking onto your brake booster, see my earlier message.

·
Registered
10,124 Posts
possibly the leak is out the rear seal, then drips down onto the bracket where it mounts to the booster and finds its way underneath, making you think it is brake fluid coming out the booster
agreed that would be very odd, but who knows with an alfa!
pull that rubber bellows back and inspect it

Automotive tire Wheel Motor vehicle Tire Asphalt

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
possibly the leak is out the rear seal, then drips down onto the bracket where it mounts to the booster and finds its way underneath, making you think it is brake fluid coming out the booster
agreed that would be very odd, but who knows with an alfa!
pull that rubber bellows back and inspect it

View attachment 1711868
this is what i tryed to explaine earlier and obviously failed at...90% of MC leaks are like this across all makes models and brands, and is useualy a 5-10$ seal that needs replaced

1 - 13 of 13 Posts