Alfa Romeo Forums banner

41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
3,267 Posts

·
Administrator
16,455 Posts
I But I think the BB moderator and an admin that stepped in way over-reacted, including posting within 25 minutes of my original thread. All of you should find a way to slow down the "official" responses. Quick reaction ALWAYS has a personal and emotional content, something that a moderator or admin needs to avoid.
Hmm, I did not realize there were rules about how soon a reply is allowed. Remember, we are not only moderators - we were all Alfisti first. I still browse around the BB as a member - looking for interesting topics and trying to make myself useful. I do not cruise the BB as a moderator looking for problems. (Generally we rely on reported posts by any member for that.)

As I told Eric privately, in a long and successful career of technical and scientific writing ( as opposed to good writing?), my very favorite editor, along with EB White's "elements of Style", the New York Times "Editors Handbook", and the DoD Document Writing Handbook all consider acronyms poor usage; White specifically calls it "lazy writing". Which was exactly the point I made - albeit too tersely and too acerbically - in my post.
Yes, that explanation does help us understand your use of the word 'lazy'. But I would hope that someone who claims expertise in technical writing would also know that you cannot use words with ambiguious meaning without making clear your word's intent.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Eric,

I don't think I implied there were rules for moderators. I did suggest there should be.

Because of the weight of comments from officials - especially on the subject of "banning" - an intentionally slowed and measured response would be good policy when your avatar says "Moderator" or "Administrator".

As I discovered many years ago as a then-new manager, whether meant as official or a personal comment, a listener will not see a difference. It was one of the hardest and most surprising leadership lessons I learned. Along with the painful fact that "oops, sorry" from the boss was useless; I learned that you had to be careful to get it right the first time.

Robert

·
Push hard and live
8,974 Posts
From ghnl - moderator

"you cannot use words with ambiguious meaning without making clear your word's intent"

I am rotflmao from the hilarious irony.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Look Guys--more puppys!!

Attachments

·
Registered
9,245 Posts
(No smilie available to reflect my feeling!!) ;-)
Has anybody else noticed that the emoticons have changed?

:hang::tooth::hammer::taz:

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Has anybody else noticed that the emoticons have changed?

:hang::tooth::hammer::taz:
Hang Tooth Hammer Taz -
***???:001_cool:

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
Lazy Moderators?

I'm assuming, and you know how much trouble I get in when I do that, that the emoticans were changed by the administrators/owners; if that is true, possibly it is their reflection/reaction to the behavior lately on the bb by members, subscribers, moderators etc.

I never use them, I make my own, so it's not a big concern to me.

Just out of curiosity, when Simon sold the Alfa bb, did he also sell the off-shoot bb he started for "Classic Cars?" Anybody, know?

·
Registered
9,245 Posts
Just out of curiosity, when Simon sold the Alfa bb, did he also sell the off-shoot bb he started for "Classic Cars?" Anybody, know?
I don't know. I recall he tried to start FiatBB and that doesn't seem to be around anymore.

·
Premium Member
26,739 Posts
Clear Only if Known Fallacy (COIK)

I agree with the second, Jim!

As to changing the title: As I told Eric privately, in a long and successful career of technical and scientific writing ( as opposed to good writing?), my very favorite editor, along with EB White's "elements of Style", the New York Times "Editors Handbook", and the DoD Document Writing Handbook all consider acronyms poor usage; White specifically calls it "lazy writing". Which was exactly the point I made -
Robert
First off when I was in junior college some years ago taking an American Literature course, I got hooked on EB White and then, he was still alive. Anyway, I wrote him a letter and being I was really quite a novice at using correctly his Elements of Style he wrote me back with some very worthwhile suggestions. Wish I still had his letter! It got lost somewhere along the way.

Anyway moving on to later taking a course in technical writing, the professor on day one of the course came into the classroom and wrote only C.O.I.K on the board before he even said hello.

He went on the say we have to write to our audience but we have to start out NOT assuming they have a clue to what we are writing about. So henceforth I try to follow one of his many guidelines and write out the words of the shortcut acronym Clear Only if Known the first time in the article with acronym following in (COIK). Then, I can use acronym later on in the article.

Still, I do get lazy at times especially when trying to text my daughter on my old non-key board cell phone.

Oh by the way, I like to use the U.S.News & World Report Stylebook A Usage Guide for Writers and Editors even though I still use it just enough to be incorrect part of the time.

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
Lazy Moderators?/Acronyms

First off when I was in junior college some years ago taking an American Literature course, I got hooked on EB White and then, he was still alive. Anyway, I wrote him a letter and being I was really quite a novice at using correctly his Elements of Style he wrote me back with some very worthwhile suggestions. Wish I still had his letter! It got lost somewhere along the way.

Anyway moving on to later taking a course in technical writing, the professor on day one of the course came into the classroom and wrote only C.O.I.K on the board before he even said hello.

He went on the say we have to write to our audience but we have to start out NOT assuming they have a clue to what we are writing about. So henceforth I try to follow one of his many guidelines and write out the words of the shortcut acronym Clear Only if Known the first time in the article with acronym following in (COIK). Then, I can use acronym later on in the article.

Still, I do get lazy at times especially when trying to text my daughter on my old non-key board cell phone.

Oh by the way, I like to use the U.S.News & World Report Stylebook A Usage Guide for Writers and Editors even though I still use it just enough to be incorrect part of the time.
I learned the same way you've described above AFA spelling out the acronym the first time and in a written paper it is the proper way to do it. But over time with the casualness of e-mail the art is no longer practiced. Although, I do it for those that I know won't know what it means or will struggle with it. I can remember knowing a few in the beginning, then I fell into this group of engineers: computer, automotive, mechanical etc., who use acronyms regularly. For some reason, I seem to have fallen in that group, who knows why. Anyway, I was lost in the beginning, and spent much of my time in the acronym dictionary, building a most used list, until I learned them. Plus I had teenage children using different variations of the acronyms, leaving out letters so you couldn't match each letter to a word.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
AFA????
PATSYF????

NSA (No Smiley Available) !!

·
Premium Member
26,739 Posts

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
Lazy Moderators?/Acronmys

AFA????
PATSYF????

NSA (No Smiley Available) !!
This is simply Gordy jangling my chain...he knows what both of them mean. I didn't consider the above post "a paper," and the second one selected you won't find in an acronym dictionary and Gordy knew it because it's been explained numerous times on the bb, when people have asked. Noteworthy, is that he did not select "SME," which he has also given me a bad time about on occasion because he ignores the word "nor" in front of it.

FTR, AFA is as far as; PATSYF is my license plate, which is Pat's Wife, surrounded by "Note Brevi is silent, the legacy is timeless;" SME is subject matter expert; and FTR is For the record. Everyone happy? ;)

And this is where it gets tricky: only About 93,600,000 results
AOL Search

Action Figure Authority ? Home Page
I can understand not being able to find relevant data or information using AOL's search engine.

Here's a link to an acronym finder; you'll find the answer the 5th item down, and "by George," it makes sense in the sentence.

Link: AFA - Definition by AcronymFinder

Another useful site for all kinds of dictionaries and research is: LibrarySpot.com: Encyclopedias, maps, online libraries, quotations, dictionaries &amp more.

BTW, the first link under acronym dictionaries is broken at library spot . com.

·
Premium Member
4,754 Posts
wanna great guide to writing? Dig up a copy of the Air Force "Tounge and Quill". ciao, chris

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
This is simply Gordy jangling my chain...he knows what both of them mean. I didn't consider the above post "a paper," and the second one selected you won't find in an acronym dictionary and Gordy knew it because it's been explained numerous times on the bb, when people have asked. Noteworthy, is that he did not select "SME," which he has also given me a bad time about on occasion because he ignores the word "nor" in front of it.

FTR, AFA is as far as; PATSYF is my license plate, which is Pat's Wife, surrounded by "Note Brevi is silent, the legacy is timeless;" SME is subject matter expert; and FTR is For the record. Everyone happy? ;)...
Sorry to upset you Cheryl. I had no intention of "jangling your chain" and I never understood what PATSYF meant. :confused1: Now with this explanation, I 'get it'. :yawn: Guess I must have been dense because I missed the "W" sound from "YF". :oops: I appreciate your explanation and won't bother you with what I thought it was. :censored: Your assumptions of what I know (and not know) may likely be incorrect. I believe you do not know me as well as you think.

It doesn't take a prolific bb contributor to know what SME means. I cannot recall ever giving you a bad time about it. If I did, I certainly did not intend to.

(p.s. to all - these are abbreviations ...FTR, AFA, AFAIK, IIRC, YMMV, LOL, ROTFLMAO, p.s., etc.)
ASAP! FUBAR! SNAFU! LAGNAF! Now THOSE are acronyms!

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
Lazy Moderators?/Acronyms

Sorry to upset you Cheryl. I had no intention of "jangling your chain" and I never understood what PATSYF meant. :confused1: Now with this explanation, I 'get it'. :yawn: Guess I must have been dense because I missed the "W" sound from "YF". :oops: I appreciate your explanation and won't bother you with what I thought it was. :censored: Your assumptions of what I know (and not know) may likely be incorrect. I believe you do not know me as well as you think.
Others have explained on other threads, where the explanation has been made, that men and women just don't read, see, and hear the same phonics in a word or combination of letters. For any of us that have been married, this isn't new news. ;)

Nicola said:
It doesn't take a prolific bb contributor to know what SME means. I cannot recall ever giving you a bad time about it. If I did, I certainly did not intend to.
Noted and accepted.

Nicola said:
(p.s. to all - these are abbreviations ...FTR, AFA, AFAIK, IIRC, YMMV, LOL, ROTFLMAO, p.s., etc.)
ASAP! FUBAR! SNAFU! LAGNAF! Now THOSE are acronyms!
I'm not sure that I agree, based on the following definition:

a word formed from the initial letters or groups of letters of words in a set phrase or series of words, as Wac from Women's Army Corps, OPEC from Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries, or loran from long-range navigation.​

Source: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/acronym

I agree that two of the three examples are proper names, but "loran" derived from long-range navigation is no different than "AFAIK;" derived from a series of words. Am I missing something? Plus all of the ones that you have classified as abbreviations can be found in the acronym dictionary except possibly "P.S.," which is defined as post script, but with the further clarification as it pertains to computer technology.

P.S. I do still struggle with me, I as it pertains to subject and predicate in a compound sentence or other than a simple sentence.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
What about DAGR? Defense Advanced GPS Reciever. Global Positioning System within the acronym as an acronym

41 - 60 of 69 Posts