Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
C'mon guys. HVAC? That's a building construction term with specific meaning and building codes.

If you mean, "Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning for Various Alfa Romeo Cars", use the term. Don't be lazy. It's misleading and condescending.

Gee Wiz. A little professionalism please?

Robert

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm a third generation smart-aleck. My Grandfather taught me and my father! Please excuse the "attention-getting" headlines....

The thought is serious though!

;)

Robert

·
Administrator
16,404 Posts
So was it too many or not enough dope slaps from your father & grandfather?

May we assume the main topic is Alfa Romeo Automobiles and the sub topic is HVAC? Thus the term applies. Automotive HVAC

Now if you would go back and edit the thread title to something less offensive my blood pressure will improve.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oooh. Touchy moderators? Enough chipping. What about the original comment?

To be clear: I think HVAC as a thread title is silly. Enough that it needs the subtext. Why not just use a real title?

Robert

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
C'mon guys. HVAC? That's a building construction term with specific meaning and building codes.
This ain't a building construction site. It's an AUTOMOTIVE forum where the acronym is common. The fact that 'Everything about Heating Ventilation & Air Conditioning' under the forum name is a bit of a clue.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
....Now if you would go back and edit the thread title to something less offensive my blood pressure will improve.
Moderators are getting too PC. There seems to be a lot of threads you want edited to suit your sensitivities. Lighten up guys. If you're that touchy, you lack the temperament for a fair moderator.

Been to an umpire school lately? For our Little League, all the coaches must attend. One of the key lessons is that the umpire NEVER gets emotionally engaged, no matter what is said. Otherwise, the umpire becomes part of the escalation, and cannot be impartial.

Smile a bit more and recognize a little levity. That's a big word for fun.

Robert

·
Administrator
16,404 Posts
One of the key lessons is that the umpire NEVER gets emotionally engaged, no matter what is said. Otherwise, the umpire becomes part of the escalation, and cannot be impartial.
And umpires can also eject players for violating the rules. <smile right back at ya>

Please edit the thread title.

·
Registered
9,241 Posts
If I recall correctly, when we briefly discussed the tech. forums being ordered in the sequence used in Alfa manuals, Papajam commented that Alfa used the term HVAC in newer manuals. What HVAC means is spelled out in the forum subtitle but people seem to overlook it. That being said, I agree that a more verbose description in the main title probably would increase user friendliness (especially for non-English speaking members who are not familiar with acronyms).

·
Push hard and live
8,929 Posts
No dog in this fight. However, haven't various moderators already written far more words than would have been required to expand the heading to a non-acronym, thereby avoiding confusion for even the most dimwitted among the membership? Who knows, we may get a few Fiat or British Leyland owners here occasionally, and the latter probably have never been exposed to the concept of "hot air" or "air conditioning", with the older car owners also never experiencing "ventilation"..

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
what John said

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
I would suggest that some members stop carping about the moderators and contribute something constructive.
Note the use of the word "members", not "subscribers".....
I would add that this differentiation is common in many, many threads... :yawn:
Frankly, I think ..... never mind...

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I'll make my apology a second time. Anybody else? Then I'm gone.

Dear moderators. Please read post #3. It was written as a light-hearted apology. Apparently you can't accept "sorry." I even sent you both a PM explaining this.

Moderators should moderate, not escalate and threaten. This thread should have ended at post #3 (except for posts #9 and #13 which are on-topic.). When does "sorry" deserve threats?

Please understand that I have unbridled respect for the technical knowledge and Alfa-love of Osso, Erik, Papajam, as well as RJ, Gordon, HeavyMetal, and many others.

But as moderators, respect needs to be earned too. Heavy handed threats that only serve to escalate emotions are inappropriate. When done under color of authority, they are much worse than dumb thoughtless words (like mine).

Robert

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
Lazy Moderators?

Now if you would go back and edit the thread title to something less offensive my blood pressure will improve.
Unless something has changed with the change of ownership of the bb, once a thread has been started by a member/subscriber, and yes, I understand the difference Gordy is drawing attention to, the title can only be changed by an administrator. If I'm correct, the impossible is being asked.

And I don't have a stake in this battle either, member/subscriber or otherwise.

I would suggest that some members stop carping about the moderators and contribute something constructive.
I hope the above is both informative and constructive...

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
OK yeah, threats anywhere are not acceptable. Especially in the open. I'm not getting that at all.

But
That said

The title of your thread does not read as light hearted. The mods are far from lazy. Now, disagree with them if you will. I think I just did above. But if there is a fault in the corps it is certainly not laziness.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts