Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
Great news indeed. They have discovered a new, groundbreaking paint scheme. Their concept car is now painted silver, a world premiere.

They are extending their leadership in "fried air".

I wait for the moment where we will assess the contents, price, real figures and behaviour of an actual car on a sale listing. As long as we are not there, it's just all about spinning empty PR tale, as it has been this side of years, if not decades.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
While the styling cues for this car are not everyone's cup of tea, this is a major leap in the right direction for Alfa Romeo. I'm not laughing or crying. I am applauding their execution on this one.

I am also curious to know if/how the lack of a V6 option for this car will affect sales. Numbers and specs would be much appreciated. But then again, if the car is limitedly produced that won't even matter.

·
Registered
415 Posts
While not horrible.. I'm not happy.

This design, to me, follows a couple of styling languages and one overall trend. The "abruptness of line/shape" seen in some Lotus offerings (Elise/Exige) and the angular tension of BMW's "flame surfacing" (Z4) seem equally represented. I consider both of these schools to be a conventional/European derivation of the generally softer-of-shape - though sometimes more extreme in execution (Qube, anyone?) - "anime/non-organic/transformer" sensibility of many current, influential Asian automotive products.

IMO, Ferrari has observed all of the above, and successfully, for the most part, developed a distinct look that reflects the stylistic cutting edge, yet is respectful of its past.

This 4C seems like too cloying a tribute to recent products from other manufacturers, without an adequate dose of Italian flair/sensuality, or indeed manufacturer-specific uniqueness, to make this AR product particularly desirable.

My first thought was, "Haven't I seen this Lotus before?"

And that's not good, at least to my eyes.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
The first photo that Simon posted looks remarkably similar to the Lotus Elise, I had to look at the other photo posted, and those photos in the link provided by "JohnnyQuest" to actually see it was indeed an Alfa.

Problem is, that we'll never see it in the US of A.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
This design, to me, follows a couple of styling languages and one overall trend. The "abruptness of line/shape" seen in some Lotus offerings (Elise/Exige) and the angular tension of BMW's "flame surfacing" (Z4) seem equally represented. I consider both of these schools to be a conventional/European derivation of the generally softer-of-shape - though sometimes more extreme in execution (Qube, anyone?) - "anime/non-organic/transformer" sensibility of many current, influential Asian automotive products.
What did you say here again? :) What "current infuential Asian automotive products"? :):)

Agree that the concept looks a bit derivative - I also had thoughts of a new Lotus.

At the end of the day, let's see when the thing is in showrooms and on the road - Of course, I love the idea of a nimble, light weight, RWD Alfa at a reasonable price and I am looking forward to comparing it to the Cayman S or R - Still the greatest new car design since the Audi TT ...

And the Cayman goes as good as it looks. Brilliant! Hope the Alfa will come close as it might be impossible to best Porsche :)

·
Registered
837 Posts
What did you say here again? :) What "current infuential Asian automotive products"? :):)

Agree that the concept looks a bit derivative - I also had thoughts of a new Lotus.

At the end of the day, let's see when the thing is in showrooms and on the road - Of course, I love the idea of a nimble, light weight, RWD Alfa at a reasonable price and I am looking forward to comparing it to the Cayman S or R - Still the greatest new car design since the Audi TT ...

And the Cayman goes as good as it looks. Brilliant! Hope the Alfa will come close as it might be impossible to best Porsche :)
While I don't care for the body design, as it reminds me of the fat kid at the local elementary school, or Pugsley Addams, like nbaum, I look forward light, nimble, rear wheel drive Alfa.

Pugsley Addams:
http://www.addamsfamily.com/addams/pugsley4.jpg

As far as recent coupés, the recent and rare BMW Z4 coupé is a favorite of mine:

·
Registered
415 Posts
The earliest one I was aware of was Nissan's S-Cargo (shown in '89 - produced from '89-92):

Renault followed up with the Twingo (shown in '92 - produced from '92 on):

These cars, even as hatch/utilitarian models, to me, suggested the shift in design possibilities - away from the conventional, automotive/engineering-derived lineage of shape/curve to (pretty much) anything-goes.

The ones that stand out for me now are Mazda's RX-8 and Nissan's 350/370Z, which highlight an almost cartoonish extreme of arches, scoops, facial expressions and other "go-fast/boy-racer" cues. One of the few worthy Euro entries that compete in this category is the Ford Focus RS - with a gaping shark-like intake that might just outdo them all:

[..] looking forward to comparing it to the Cayman S or R - Still the greatest new car design since the Audi TT ...
Agreed - the Audi TT was a brilliant, architecturally-derived, and heritage embracing (Avus record cars) response that definitely moved the goalposts.

Interesting choice, w/ the Cayman - whose lines, initially I didn't like, but have really grown on me over time. The one thing I hated on the base model and the S (that "foglight(?)-on-a-stick" in each side intake which looked like it came from Kia's internal design dept.) was addressed on the R.

At least they're listening to me.. ;)

·
But Mad North-Northwest
12,582 Posts
All I know is when you guys are at home critiquing the 4C design details, I'll be out on the road in mine rolling with the laydeeeez. Aw yeeeeeah! :D

·
Registered
415 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I've got to say "cry" here. The styling on this car makes the 159 look really nice.
The eighty thousand dollar price tag makes it absolutely ugly. Go away 4C !
Duettanta would be a striking car to produce.

·
Registered
it's almost a alfa romeo spider
11,507 Posts
little italian is right on that...make the 2duettanta,,sell it for $25000... to $34000.00 loaded.. they wont have time to stop the factorys in buildling them...

·
Registered
344 Posts
little italian is right on that...make the 2duettanta,,sell it for $25000... to $34000.00 loaded.. they wont have time to stop the factorys in buildling them...
If you're going to dream, then why not dream BIG? Make the 2uettottanta, give it a 500HP engine that gets 75MPG, and sell it for $3000. There, that's better.

·
Registered
4,884 Posts
...sell it for $25000... to $34000.00 loaded..
The realistic number is 34k to 45k loaded. Hit that, and you're money.

80k is in the sweet spot of car prices that for most is just above unobtainable and yet still below teenage wet dream.

For those of you south of the river, what I said is if it is 80k, you might as well bring over a few more 8C's.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.