Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. The Alfa has been in the garage all winter but has newly redone seats and turns out it was time to smog again (why?)
Unfortunately, it failed, and my mechanic thinks it might be the cat this time.

I've searched and the Catco part described appears to be NLA.
Walker makes a universal that appears to be a fit for only $110, part #81126.
I'm going to call around a few shops but I thought perhaps someone may have done this research already.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,740 Posts
Sounds like what I’ve paid in the past.

·
Premium Member
2,871 Posts
That's well within the parameters I've seen for a California approved cat.

·
Premium Member
86 Veloce
1,162 Posts
Make sure it is CARB certified and you have the muffler shop sign the paperwork when he installs it. Magnaflow makes a nice universal hi flow CARB cat. Can't remember the part number but if you really needed it I could find it.

Reactions: horsewidower

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
$440 installed with tax was the end total. Part was $200ish (double what I saw online but that's usually the case).
Passed smog no problem.
I do however need a center muffler apparently. I'm talking to the guy selling the Abarth systems but he's away until July.

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
Local muffler shop says there are 3 options from Catco, Walker and Magnaflow, perhaps more. $423 installed. Another shop is $350 installed.
Alfa Parts had no parts available but directed me to local resources.
I have no experience w/the others, but Magnaflow has been very good for me. Amazon sells 'em.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I bought a Walker Cal Cat last year for $105.00 and bolted it on my self. If not, my 76 Alfetta GT never would have passed the horrendous smog laws here in California.....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts