Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I change the oil in my Milano and GTV-6 every two years; have been using Shell Spiral S2 80W 90 but that's getting difficult to find in quart sizes. I see that Shell has an S4 now; I haven't had a chance to call them yet but seems like that would be a good upgrade? Thanks.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,610 Posts
Both S2 and S4 appear to be GL4 gear oils, so they're not the best choice for a transaxle. The original spec was Spriax HD which is GL5. GL5 is recommended for a higher level of protection in the ring and pinion gears.

I tried Shell Spirax HD, Redline 75W90NS, and Swepco 201 in my Milano's transaxle. They all worked and are all GL5. I personally preferred the Swepco.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, I actually meant, and am currently using, the HD 80W-90. Doesn't seem to be readily available in quarts, only 35-lb. pails. Just trying to find out if Shell has a GL5 replacement for the HD that is available in quarts?

·
Richard Jemison
7,985 Posts
Just use Redline. It works the best.

I agree, I build a many transmissions and transaxles including special competition versions, and all are marked with "use ONLY Redline 75-90 NS. And the owners advised of that as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts