Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to have to do the clutch on my 76 Alfetta Gt (series 1). I will also have to change out the rear flex disc because of some damage. Instead of tracking one of those down I was wondering what do I need to upgrade to the series 2 alfetta gt drive shaft. Is it just rear tongue and drive shaft? Does it bolt up to the same flywheel up front? Is there an easier/better option?

Thank you.

· Registered
472 Posts
I'm going to have to do the clutch on my 76 Alfetta Gt (series 1). I will also have to change out the rear flex disc because of some damage. Instead of tracking one of those down I was wondering what do I need to upgrade to the series 2 alfetta gt drive shaft. Is it just rear tongue and drive shaft? Does it bolt up to the same flywheel up front? Is there an easier/better option?

Thank
Now, the series 2 your talking about is for the GTV6? Because I believe the housing for the transaxle is different too? If so, and the rear Giblo on the '76 and '79 has same ar

Thank you.
Ok, I believe your '76 is the same as my '79. Having said that .... we... and I say all of us here, "owners" of the glorious Alfetta! It's like a needle in a haystack! Good luck finding one... I came across one on Facebook Italy.. Alfetta groups sell alot of parts on there. But it was sold before I could get my hands on it!
Good luck on searches. Keep us posted

· Registered
1,914 Posts
Richard Jameson had a lightened flywheel for sale for Alfetta. I asked if it was specific to early or later and if the flywheel need to be balanced in conjunction with the crank and front pulley. Here was his reply:

"Well the flywheel was sold and shipped yesterday.

But to answer your questions all the alfa 4 cyl engines are internally balanced. So the flywheels have to be balanced individually.
All the flywheels for Alfettas use the same flywheel pattern for mounting the driveshaft, while there are 3 different Giubo flange designs for the rest of the shafts.

Thanks
Rj"

I trust his knowledge. Based on that, you could swap from the front flywheel back to and including the clutch yoke

I just bought a rear giubo for my 79 from OKP. It was not an exact match, but with a little work on the lathe I was able to remove a spacer and make it function correctly.

· Registered
472 Posts
Richard Jameson had a lightened flywheel for sale for Alfetta. I asked if it was specific to early or later and if the flywheel need to be balanced in conjunction with the crank and front pulley. Here was his reply:

"Well the flywheel was sold and shipped yesterday.

But to answer your questions all the alfa 4 cyl engines are internally balanced. So the flywheels have to be balanced individually.
All the flywheels for Alfettas use the same flywheel pattern for mounting the driveshaft, while there are 3 different Giubo flange designs for the rest of the shafts.

Thanks
Rj"

I trust his knowledge. Based on that, you could swap from the front flywheel back to and including the clutch yoke

I just bought a rear giubo for my 79 from OKP. It was not an exact match, but with a little work on the lathe I was able to remove a spacer and make it function correctly.
Can I send you mine!?¿ I bought the same.. and can't use it!

· Registered
1,914 Posts
Tom - I am assuming the guibo bore is the issue. PM me and we can discuss.

The issue I ran into was that the ball on the rear of the rear portion of the driveshaft would not fit into the bore of the giubo. I looked closely and it seemed that there was a spacer pressed into the bore - if I could press it out, then the bore would be the right size. I tried my best to press it out - would not budge and of course you can't apply heat. So decided that there must not be a spacer and I'll open the bore up to the right size. Used a clutch input shaft to mount it in the lathe - dicey. When I was 95% to the bore diameter the spacer suddenly came free. The resultant bore was correct for the ball end.

Now that I know the spacer exists and that it won't press out, I think I could repeat the task pretty easily. might have to sacrifice an Alfetta clutch input shaft to get a better mount in the lathe chuck.

Mark

Reactions: Peter A

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for your help. A while ago I had emailed one of the european suppliers and they had mentioned a gt4 driveshaft from the 80s. I don't know how much I like that being in the US. We will see. Maybe find a rear giubo and slowly get the bits for a long term swap.

· Premium Member
7,575 Posts

· Premium Member
7,575 Posts
Also the reason for the different clutch housings is the cars thru 77 had a straight shaft clutch assembly. 78 and later had a tapered shaft clutch assembly. Early and late drive shaft will work with either one. Flywheels are different.

· Premium Member
7,575 Posts
Front.
rear flywheel is part of the clutch assembly.

· Premium Member
7,575 Posts
Just out of curiosity, what makes the tapered shaft better than the straight, and why are the shaft bearings for each different? Does the tapered shaft have a thicker base than the straight shaft?
You would have to ask alfa why they went to the tapered shaft.
The tapered shaft is thinner at the top.
You haven’t been able to get a straight shaft assembly for decades.

Reactions: AlfaTasteless
1 - 13 of 13 Posts