Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm pretty well committed to getting back on the Alfa horse and would appreciate any insight on what should be looked for when eyeballing the '90-on Spiders.
I will be eternally grateful and will wash and wax your car every week fro the next year:D
Thanks

·
Registered
532 Posts
I've got one of each, and honestly, they're not all that different (my '74 is VERY different). If you discount the fact that a newer car might have less wear & tear, I think they're both equally reliable. Probably the only thing I don't like about my S3 is the ugly bumpers and spoilers, and the only thing I don't like about my S4 is the power steering. Look at some, drive some, and go from there. Driving a Spider, or any Alfa, is a very personal thing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've got one of each, and honestly, they're not all that different (my '74 is VERY different). If you discount the fact that a newer car might have less wear & tear, I think they're both equally reliable. Probably the only thing I don't like about my S3 is the ugly bumpers and spoilers, and the only thing I don't like about my S4 is the power steering. Look at some, drive some, and go from there. Driving a Spider, or any Alfa, is a very personal thing.
dwc...thanks for the info. Yea, the spoilers on the S3 kinda turn me off too. do you know if anyone has taken them off, filled in the holes and repainted ?
Should end up with a pretty nice looking car. (?)

·
Registered
416 Posts
dwc...thanks for the info. Yea, the spoilers on the S3 kinda turn me off too. do you know if anyone has taken them off, filled in the holes and repainted ?
I haven't seen a Series 3 Spider with the spoilers removed, but, when they are painted body color, they look pretty good. Also, look at the "135 MPH" thread at posts #50 and #79. Board member Alfavirus has posted some pics of his beautiful S3 and describes what he did with his spoilers and bumpers.

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
If you just pull the spoiler you have to get creative filling in the area that it used to occupy as there's a bit of a recess around the tailights and deck lid that is filled by the lip on the spoiler.

'Somwhere' in the forum there is at least one pic of an S3 that's had it done, (I know I saw it within the last year if that helps.....), but IIRC the guy who did it said it was a bit tedious.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
:eek: I'm shocked, I'm hurt, I'm....................

Okay, FINE! Pick on our lil ole spoilers and git yerself an S4!!

BUT.........you will pay for it!!!

A good S3 is half the price of a good S4!!!

Are you a cheap Alfisti or are you willing to buy what you want?

By the way...my S3 can run circles around anyones S4........;)

·
Premium Member
1,468 Posts
LOVE my s4. I think the power steering adds to the enjoyment. I have had four 164's including my current LS. I thought they were great, but now I know what I was missing. The looks of the s4 also speak for themself.

·
Registered
532 Posts
It's all just personal preference. I enjoy driving both my S3 and S4, and the style is certainly different, but each reflects the era it comes from. My favorite of all the Kamm-tail Spiders would be a '71 or '72, but any Spider is prettier than just about any other car, right? No offense meant by my comment that the bumpers and spoilers on the S3 cars are ugly. For the longest time, I never thought I'd buy either an S3 or S4, as a "serious" '74 Spica Spider owner, but here I am, now with one of each type.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,024 Posts
I just don't understand the anger the spoiler harvests...:(
It is a tool of SATAN! An evil, posessed part from the deepest PITS of HELL that was glued onto the car in the dark of night by baby-eating patients who escaped out of a Milan mental hospital!

Okay, it's not that bad.

·
Registered
125 Posts
So I'm pretty well committed to getting back on the Alfa horse and would appreciate any insight on what should be looked for when eyeballing the '90-on Spiders.
I will be eternally grateful and will wash and wax your car every week fro the next year:D
Thanks
Ciao
Each series has it's fans I happen to like the S4. Most Alfisti will agree that whichever one you choose make sure it has no or very little rust. The earlier models had a problem with corrosion but I know some S2 owners that put in serious bucks in body restoration and have been driving them rust free for years. The S4 has power but since it's the heavy weight of the lot it will under perform the S3. It won't matter since you won't be racing your Spider against other Spiders. What I love about My S4 is it's reliability but that's partly due to having found a great Alfa mechanic so find someone in your neck of the woods that knows these cars inside out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
:eek: I'm shocked, I'm hurt, I'm....................

Okay, FINE! Pick on our lil ole spoilers and git yerself an S4!!

BUT.........you will pay for it!!!

A good S3 is half the price of a good S4!!!

Are you a cheap Alfisti or are you willing to buy what you want?

By the way...my S3 can run circles around anyones S4........;)

A thousand pardons!! No offense intended...just a personal preference...and, so far, the better half has indicated the S4's are more pleasing to her eye (and if I'm filling the garage with toys, at least one of them has to meet with her approval).
But overall, a good S3 will give me all the :D factor needed, as will a good S4. The issue now is making sure I choose one that doesn't fall apart in the driveway.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ferris said it best: Que bella!!

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
A thousand pardons!! No offense intended...just a personal preference...and, so far, the better half has indicated the S4's are more pleasing to her eye (and if I'm filling the garage with toys, at least one of them has to meet with her approval).
But overall, a good S3 will give me all the :D factor needed, as will a good S4. The issue now is making sure I choose one that doesn't fall apart in the driveway.
HA! Me? Offended? HAHAHAHAHAHAAA............:D:D:D

No, If I could get a nice S4 I'd dump my S3 in a heartbeat!!! I'm just jealous of those that have both!!!:eek:
But my S3 will run circles around ANY S4 within a 300 mile radius!! :cool:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts