Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1 hond drive at a stop light.. ' hey , those are frigin' big brakes' 2 little kid in a subi sti, male driver, kid about 11 years old...' hey dad, that is a cool car ' 3 young guy drive next to me in a new acura.. nice studabker..:confused: .. told him what is was.. oh, ice britsih car.. sorry mate I told him,, very little cast iron in this car... it's italain.. Alfa Romeo.. still lost.. told him this is were Ferrari came from..ok..

·
Premium Member
1,103 Posts
Thanks for the anecdotes, my friend!

I've taken to handing out a 3x5 card with a brief history of Alfa and a link to our wonderful BB.

I drive off as they are perusing.

Saves everyone a lot of time :).

All the best.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Recently:
"Nice car , what is it?"
Alfa Romeo
"ahh, who makes it?"
Alfa Romeo
"that's hard to say"

·
Registered
399 Posts
I once had a car "expert" say to one of his buddies that he had also once owned an Alfa Romeo Iniezione.

But my favorite is when I am driving my Fiat Coupe and get asked what kind of car this is by someone driving a Fiat 500. Really throws them for a loop!

·
Registered
399 Posts
Ah yes, my latest recent comments while out cruising:

- "Is that a Jaguar?"

- "I bet it costs more than a Porsche... like more than fifty grand?"

I just smiled.
Yeah, I get that a lot too. Must be a very expensive car? I just nod and silently say to myself "Yup, almost 7K"

·
Registered
304 Posts
Have not had mine long, but plenty of positive comments. My top is always down, so it's easy for people to comment. Homeless folks in San Diego really seem to like the car!

·
Registered
964 Posts
homeless people here in Houston also like the car.....my top is down 99% of the time too...only up if I get caught in a shower (rarely)

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Nice to hear Bjørn.
I do the same, only driving top less.
But in the south of Europa, around the Mediterranean. Here there is no question of misunderstanding. What car it is.
Only by the youngster op to around 10, there is a question. "Dad look what car is that " Its a Duetto " what is a Duetto dad " That is a Alfa Romeo.
Lots of thumbs up and horn signals when passing. Really enjoyable. Those Italian really know, their cars. And appreciate them.

·
Registered
964 Posts
To 2000touring sp, yes, that is so true....I was recently in contact via facebook with an Itailan "girl" I dated in Anzio in 1964....she was 16 then (back then I lived in Sweden)....and in a picture I posted was the front of my Spider in the background....she asked: " Is your car a Duetto by Alfa"?
whereupon I had to tell her "no, its only a second generation, not the Duetto"

by the way, where are you located in the "south of Europe"?

·
Registered
121 Posts
I pulled my 58 Giulietta Spider into a parking lot and some yahoo sees the "F" on the side for Farina and says to me, "Is that a Fiat?"

At least he got the country of origin right.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Thanks Bjørn.
I am a Dane .My guess was that you had some Swede in you ancestress by that name.
I have the possibility to go to the south of Europa, when the fall comes to Scandinavian. And find it really pleasant with a Spider.
Was on Sicily in beginning of September. Driving in 36 degrees, its a privilege and a quality of life to get the draft in the neck.
I am driving a series 4, down here

·
Registered
964 Posts
2000 touring sp, yes I am a Swede...been in Texas since 68...but my oldest son lives outside ,south of Malmoe, my oldest daughter lives in Aarhus, so I have two Danish grand children.....when I was still living in Sweden , I used to drive down to Italy and France every summer...have some Italian ancestry (maternal grandmothers last name was Perselli) and have cousins in Provence (maternal Grandfathers last name was Paban)...all mixed up with Swedes on my fathers side...and my children in Denmark/Sweden have also Norwegian ancestry on their moms side...so I guess they are "Scandinavian"...lol

·
Registered
964 Posts
I pulled my 58 Giulietta Spider into a parking lot and some yahoo sees the "F" on the side for Farina and says to me, "Is that a Fiat?"

At least he got the country of origin right.
Fiat? why not guessing Ferrari? lol

but my 65 Fiat 1500 convertible I owned while in Sweden in 66-67 had the same "F" on it

Attachments

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Have not had mine long, but plenty of positive comments. My top is always down, so it's easy for people to comment. Homeless folks in San Diego really seem to like the car!
You get many homeless in Carlsbad? :p

1 - 19 of 19 Posts