Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I decided that it was time to replace the Sumitomo H4's on my 71 Spider and after some reading here started tire shopping. My Alfa mechanic, along with a lot of other people, says that the Yokohama Avids are a good tire but I decided that the Pirelli P4's suit my needs and, hey, they're 'Italian'.

However, they're almost all gone. The only place that I could find that still has them is Tire Rack, and they have them indicated as 'Closeouts' at $77 each. So, if you want a set, now is the time to get them.

Interesting side note - I'm a big fan of Discount Tire based on my past experiences with them and had of course checked to see if they stock the P4's. They don't. However as they have a shop close to my house I checked to see if they'd install if I purchased from Tire Rack. They will. In fact Discount Tire called Tire Rack and ordered them for me -to be shipped to their shop. Something worth remembering.

Finally FWIW, before calling Tire Rack, Discount Tire called Pirelli directly to see if they had or could have a set of P4's shipped in. Pirelli didn't have any, so those at Tire Rack probably really are the last ones. Pirelli did say that they may be making more P4's in the future, but that they'd be made in China. I would suggest taking both halves of that statement with a grain of salt. Discount Tire said that there is just no market for 14 or 15 inch tires any more.

Just thought I pass this along for what it's worth.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Lokki,

Might be worthwhile to inquire at TireRack what the date code on the tires are before a final decision to buy. They may have the last ones but they may also be old rubber. Depending on how much driving is done tires will dry rot and crack before the tread wears out.

Regards, Al

·
Premium Member
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Al - thanks for the tip. A good point to remember.
The tires actually came in to Discount Tire today and I had them put on . Fortunately they're all marked "27/12" which is the first week of July I believe. Must be the last of the last run. In any case I am sure that they 're going to expire of old age before I wear the tread off them. I probably run less than 5K miles a year on my Spider.
Do appreciate the warning though; it's particularly important when buying tires in the (now) unusual size our Spiders take.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Lokki,
Good deal then. I'd buy a set myself but not quite ready. I've had the P4s years back. Good tires and the Italian bit always make these happier..... ;-) Although it's a bit hard to really know where there made these days.
Regards, Al

1 - 4 of 4 Posts